Saturday, 12 March 2011

Public Service Announcement for USM graduands!

Prologue: 370th post GET. Is there any significance in this number? Not really, just that it's a big round number.

Attention fellow USMers especially graduands for the upcoming convocation! The 43rd Convocation of Universiti Sains Malaysia will be held on 19 Mac 2011 (Saturday) which is within a week from now! What makes this convocation ceremony different is that it's mini-convo (unlike the main convocation usually held on August/September/October which last for five days complete with all the pomps and chintzes) which only consists of two sessions in one day and this time, they will be doing it over USM's Nibong Tebal Engineering Campus over the mainland (again, same like the previous small convo same time last year) because DTSP (main campus's convocation hall) is currently under internal retrofitting! *dun dun dun* For more information, please visit the USM's convocation website! Besides that, have you answered the MOHE's and USM's Online Survey yet? Answer it (especially MOHE's because the system will only be active until 19 March) and print the confirmation slip out. It will be useful when you are going to pick up your scroll and transcript on 20 March onward.

You might be wondering what did these convocation stuffs are in anyway related to me because I am still far from graduating yet (Yes, yet. *sigh*). That's because two of my fellow SISTAHs, ZZChuah and Chan Pao + another two more batch mate (Vincent and Yaya) will be graduating in this upcoming small convocation! With ZZChuah and ChanPao being immersed in their new working life, it's up to me, the resident slacker being at the heart of campus, volunteering to help those two pick up their graduation robes! In the week leading up til today, I have been pestering both of them to do whatever itineraries left for the convocation (Their surveys! Want to buy DVD or not? What's your height and head circumference!) as if it's me that will be graduating! After gathering all the required infos, I filled in the representative form and went to pick it up first thing in the morning...and...

It almost hit a snag. I was mortified when the officer told me that I am required to have their IC (yes, THEIRS) photocopied to hand in along with the form. Of course it's impossible to ask them to sent it here, both of them are working! After a lil pleading, the officer asked me to go photocopy MY IC to hand it in as a prove of me picking up their robe. Fine. Photocopy shop under library not open. SHIT. Went to Dewan Budaya's (infamous for virus infested computer...not related to this though.) photocopy shop. Print it out. Went back to DTSP. Phew, they accept it and we can proceed. Pick up their retrieval slips, pick up their invitation cards (two invitation cards for each graduands to enter the main hall during convocation.) pick up their robes (I still don't understand why they didn't provide any bag for free when we pick up the robes. They just plop it on the table and expect you to settle it yourself. Business savvy AlumniUSM has set up stall selling paper bags from RM5 and RM8 besides all other Alumni souvenirs.), left the room with robes in hand and plop it in my HP Printer Eco-Bag. Next stop: PTPM's Convo DVD counter. Fill in the info for SzeSze (she wants one. I wonder did I fill in her number and address correctly.), back to counter, turns out they out of change (I hand them RM50. CD was RM25.). Went off campus to do impromptu grocery shopping, came back with change, paid, head back to room.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Later in the evening, me and remainders of the SISTAH here in Penang (SheiHan, ChanPao and Lawrence) went for dinner and I passed the robe to ChanPao. ChanPao (as asked by SzeSze) will pass it to SzeSze's cousin who happened to be the kopitiam owner at ChanPao's apartment. Convenient eh?

I think that USM's purple robe is most fashionable graduation robe of all other public universities in Malaysia. As for the two folders, I sorted all their stuffs (printed slip and such) into paper folder properly so that it won't mess up. In the end, I didn't buy paper bag for them but instead used random plastic bags inside my room to carry it. Pretty undignified hence no photo of the those random plastic bags here.

The invitation card. Colorful eh?
Congratulation is in order and everything is set. Can't wait for next Saturday 19 March to come. What will happen on that day? Stay tuned for more post especially about those two women's convocation!

Epilogue: The weather has take a turn for the better in Penang these days with cloudy weather and balmier sun plus occasional late evening rain that cools the night. It's so nice to curl in the bed while enjoying the cooler air around you. Wait...what about my reading and edits! *priority fail*.

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...