I have always had recurring dreams and nightmares every time I sleep for the night. Some of them are downright ludicrous with implausible scenarios chock full of non-sequitur but quite a number of them are horrifyingly nightmarish that left my heart racing in fear. Sometimes it's a long continuous feature movie-esque dream with the storyline ended abruptly when my eyes opened while sometimes it's a sequence of non-related dream like marathon movie night. Those dreams and nightmares can be mortifying at time because it usually ends at the climax, the breaking point, leaving no conclusion whatsoever with mixed, puzzled feeling the moment you wake up. I've always thought that if an idle mind (like my mine for spending most of the time procrastinating) is a devil's playground, then devil must have been reveling in carnival in my brain, Rio Style every night. It's a veritable smorgasbords of storyline to be used in creative writing and heck, if I have a inkling of those subconscious brain creativity while I am conscious, I would've scored an A in my creative writing paper during my undergrad time!
Recollection of dreams and nightmares are at its most vivid the immediate moment one woke up but almost all of it will be gone within minutes leaving only a fuzzy de-ja-vu-ish emotion that something actually happened in your brain while you asleep. In order to tap those memories (ya know...for blogging material and further inspection. *sheepish smile*), I've actually made some conscious effort to scribble whatever recollection of dream left in my memory immediately after I opened my eyes and so far I've compiled three written recollection of dreams through random scribbles on a random piece of paper. Some of the word are quite hard to decipher though because you can't exactly expect someone to operate at its full cognitive potential the moment one woke up HURR DURR. Today, for once, I've had a dream that's actually worth remembering.
I dreamt about Doctor Who.
![]() |
| Current Doctor Who title. |
Yes, I've dreamt about Doctor Who, the longest running science fiction series in the world and a British institution but in what context? The story goes like this:
I am in a class room as a student. We're having some sort of public speaking session going on and the teacher calls the students up in five person batch to pickup a storyline or keyword or clue in a box as our topic for public speaking. I was the third or fourth person speaking and after my classmates done with his part of public speaking, it's my turn to pick out a topic for the box. When I opened the paper containing the clue, it contained nothing else but: Doctor Who. A thousand images immediately appears in my head and thus began a presentation about Doctor Who. Right before I moved on to the key points, I did ask the audience whether they're familiar with Doctor Who (most of them don't because Malaysian are not exposed to the sci-fi goodness of Doctor Who) and it moves on with the general history of all incarnations of Doctor Who, it's significance in British psyche by scarring generations of British children to hide behind the sofa while peeking at the television with alien invaders (Dalek!) and gory action scenes. I've also mentioned about the rivalry taken place online between the fans of Doctor Who portrayed by David Tennant (the previous, 10th incarnation of the Doctor) and Matt Smith (the current, 11th incarnation of the Doctor). Not too long later, I woke up and jotted this recollection down.
...OK I know some of you might be looking at me oddly about what's so special about this particular recollection and to be honest, it is boring when you look at the general storyline of that particular recollection: it's ME doing a PUBLIC SPEAKING or PRESENTATION. What's makes this recollection worth memorable however is that my geekiness for pop culture is showing even when I am dreaming and I got to show it to the public (even if it's just dream)! Besides, the recollection didn't feature death of myself or my loves one as well as mindfuck sequence so having a relatively peaceful and somewhat pleasant dream makes this dream worth remembering, for once!
Last but not least just to wrap up this post: a compilation of Doctor Who's opening title which its basic tune remains unchanged (only different renditions) since the 1st series in the 60's til the current series today. This evergreen tune is one of the reason why Doctor Who is embedded deeply in British psyche until today. It's ear-gasmic!
Epilogue: Will I be able to write up another post before the day ends. Looks like I am gonna stretch my brains capacity today while sitting in front lappies for hours doing nothing but typing away. Made me feels like I had my priority in writing wrong: what about my thesis?

No comments:
Post a Comment