-Thoughts about PPA-13-
My motivation and inspiration to write about my experience in PPA-13 has ebbed. Those who want to take a look on all the pictures can always drop by at all these Facebook albums over my profile. For those who are curious about my opinion of PPA-13: if compared to PPA-12 which I attended two years ago when it was organized by USM and at ParkRoyal Hotel Batu Ferengghi right at Penang itself, PPA-13 organized by UiTM and held in Hotel Concorde, Shah Alam has...how I do put this...MUCH more room to improve at ALL FRONT. One particular issue I would like to point out as one of the presenter is the incoherence of theme between presented papers in parallel sessions. The idea of arranging parallel sessions according to theme didn't seems to occur in the organizers which results in the awkward situation in which paper of disparate themes being lumped together into one session. This awkward situation is painfully obvious in my colleague, Yaya's session in which all the other three presenters in her session revolves mostly on translation of Arabic and al-Quran while her paper is about teaching of interpreting. The forms of organization that I actually see: they separated paper presented in English and BM into uni-lingual sessions (thus eliminating any need of interpreting for foreigner. It's too painstaking to interpreter for parallel sessions anyway.), translation of Arabic and al-Quran is usually lumped together into one session (except unfortunate case like Yaya ended up in Arabic translation session for no reason.) and organizing committee usually appears in uniform. Another particular aspect in which PPA-13 paled in comparison with the previous PPA-12 organized by USM is the lesser presence of international participants in terms of papers presented in english (conference proceeding in BM is much thicker than the english one.) as well as keynotes speakers. I mean, PPA-12 had Yves Gambier, Anthony Pym, a French lady and a Korean professor who can speak Malay. Any other line up pales in comparison with that! OK, maybe I am bias towards my own institution and had too high of an expectation after having my first experience with international conference two years ago but there's no doubt the issues I raised has its basis.
As for overall impression of the institution itself, UiTM despite being the most comprehensive university SYSTEM in Malaysia with multiple unique institutions and eclectic offerings (which I found impressive speaking as a non-bumiputera who will never have a chance to enter UiTM except maybe in postgraduate or INTEC. We learn new things every day. For example, it's compulsory for UiTM student to take a couple of third/foreign language modules in order to graduate...which makes their Akademi Pengajian Bahasa HUGE and SoLLaT in USM looks puny in comparison and for Chinese language unit alone, they've 30+ teaching staffs. UiTM is a whole different dimension altogether! I will never have a chance to be have a Bachelor of Librarianship in Malaysia though because it's only offered by UiTM.) still have a long journey to go if they ever dream about being a world-class university if organization of PPA-13 provides any indication of their competence as a whole. One bone I would like to pick on (because there are so many to pick on) is their corporate tagline: Mengubah Destini Anak Bangsa. Did their PR department consulted DBP for "destini" because it's not an accepted coinage yet. Why don't they use takdir or nasib which is the current Malay equivalent of destiny? In fact, the UiTM department actually did presented a paper regarding translation of their motto in english in their corporate branding and communication purpose in which they concluded that the current english translations are inadequate and original Malay version should be used on all official purposes even in international events and such...and yet they have no qualm in adopting DESTINI in their slogan. *smack forehead in jest ala language purist* Since we're still in the debate of terms though, turns out that both Canselori and Canseleri are both accepted as Malay term for Chancellery/Chancellory. Basically, it's just variant in spelling and with that, my apologies for mocking their spelling of canseleri when we drove past UiTM to I-City.
-Guilty...Pleasure?-
Instant noodles has been a staple in my diet for months now as a part of austerity measures taken in time of bad economy (note: running out of dough.). With each package loaded with MSG and preservative, it's definitely far from any definition of healthy diet and from time to time, I do feel the sense of emptiness in terms of stomach and personal satisfaction towards my daily meal. It is sad in many ways. With that being said though, I am actually building up a veritable choice of instant noodles at my disposal with five distinct brands and eight different types/flavours of instant noodle all of which I procured when one brand or flavour is running out thus leaving one packet of a particular flavour alive while chowing down the new one. My single largest purchase occurred yesterday when Tesco Extra had promotion for Cintan Mee in which they sell three five-packet-package for RM8 only (single retail price: RM3.20). Being a normal cheapskate Malaysian, I bought three which can last me for two weeks if my diet of having instant noodle dinner remains. My money-grubbing nature didn't act up last week though when I purchase Myojo Mi-Poh Goreng Pedas which I consider as Gourmet class instant noodle...and pricier too with RM5.50. For some reason, Majujaya's cheaper than Tesco and Jusco in this aspect!
| Mi-poh is basically flat noodle which give it a tangier texture when cooked. |
| With 85g as it dry weight, it's slightly more filling compared to usual dried instant noodle. |
-Eating out somewhere off the beaten path 28 July 2011 (Thursday)-
My junior, Ah Kok dropped by USM to meet up with Dr. Noni for something after a research proposal presentation session and he invited me and PauLee (former batchmate) to pick up Caryn (Pusak ngegeh lol) from her workplace before heading for dinner and hanging out. Ah Kok and PauLee suggested an Indian vegetarian place but they only had a rough idea on how to go there except that it's near Penang General Hospital. So after some exploring and wrong turns around the meandering streets of Georgetown, we finally reached the place...and that's when I realized that I actually heard of that place before: The Temple of Fine Arts Penang.
| Also known as Annalakshmi. A Malaysian grown institution, they actually spread their wing to Singapore and Australia! |
When I say off-beaten path, it means that it's tucked away in a quaint neighbourhood away from all the hussle at Jalan Datuk Keramat/Jalan Utama. Just take a look of the Google Map.
View Larger Map
| Remember to take off your shoes! |
| According to their mission statement, their kitchen is ran by volunteer which consists mostly mothers hence motherly cooking is PRICELESS. In other word, we pay to our hearts desire. |
| We're given a glass of water after we ordered our foods and drinks. |
| Being adventurous, I decided to try out Neer moru which I think is some sort of yogurt drink from what I can guess from its sour taste. |
| As for the main course, I ordered Preethi Bhojan which is basically set meal with rice, chapati, papadom and morsels of everything and desert. Pretty filling! |
| Char Kuey Teow. |
| Fried Rice. |
For this satisfying meal, we all opted to pay RM10 per person for this. Definitely worth it and I think I wanna go back again to try their lunch buffet. Now...which bus should I take?
| We hang around 1stAvenue because PauLee haven't been there. Of course whenever I go there, Rotiboy is a must! |
-Pasar Malam again 30 July 2011 Saturday-
Saturday = Sungai Dua Pasar Malam. My one chance to escape from the dull instant noodle dinner routine! (Though for that extra spending at night, I ate instant noodle for lunch.). Nevermind because it will get better at night and what a bountiful late evening it was!
| The imitation sharkfin 碗仔翅 stall is open as well for another bowl for me with extra abalone slice and dash of vinegar. |
| Last but not least, finally got the RM1 doughnut from the bakery right beside Tesco! SUCCESS! |
Epilogue: Another personal challenge to self: capping my Yes4G spending to RM68 per month only. Will I succeed or fail miserably. Meanwhile, now that my grant is in...can I claim my Yes4G spending too? or should I keep that for respondents honorarium? Wonder what should I buy for future viewing session...cakes? Pizza? KFC?

No comments:
Post a Comment