Alt. Title: Everything else after the First Day (正月初一) of Lunar New Year.
It might seems premature that I do a Lunar New Year 2013 roundup entry when there are about three more days left before the celebration is actually over (there are actual individual cultural significance for each 15 days of Lunar New Year, some of it might be clan/regional specific) but considering the Lunar New Year Golden Weeks (9-17 February) (the timing for this year's CNY is pretty good because they got Monday and Tuesday as public holiday and most of them has to clear off their annual leave so they just apply leave for the rest of the week.) in which the celebration is at its peak is already petering out and everybody else has already gone back working at somewhere else, Lunar New Year fun for me is by all mean over and done. All that's is left for me are leftover tidbits and soft drinks to binge on and the looming fear of returning to reality after being iding for too long. Oh, and all the great memories that I had with friends and family.
Before I proceed with my Lunar New Year roundup, this post is going to be divided roughly according to significant events and happening during Lunar New Year as well as random thoughts and observation. Let's start, shall we?
The first two days of Lunar New Year is generally uneventful consisted of visiting the elder relatives or receiving visits from parents' colleague or younger relatives as well as paying tributes at the temple especially on day two (初二) specifically reserved for paying tributes to my (maternal) grandparent with the rest of the (maternal) extended families. That's was fine because the first two days of CNY is when one rakes in on red packets from relatives. In fact, that's usually the only time I got to rake in on any monetary rewards and probably the last few years I am able to do so as I reaches adulthood and (supposed to) enter the workforce.
In the mean time, I was anticipating calls or invites for visits, perpetually peering at my mobile phone or Facebook updates (when I am not outside visiting relatives of course) anxiously to see if there's any signs of invitation. I thought that my quite impassioned public invitation to my home by being wax lyrical about my dad's signature sour pork leg and curry chicken which is only available first day and possibly second if there's any leftover. You'll have to wait until next year if you want to enjoy it again!
Anyway, two days has gone by. Both my mobile phone and Facebook notification was eerily silent. I tried to reassure myself that perhaps everybody else has been busy visiting their own relatives which mean they're probably too occupied to make phone calls or check on Facebook. (Come to think of it, people probably didn't got to see my post at all if they were outside making their rounds of visiting relative so my impassioned invitation is counterproductive at best.) When the third day (初三) come and goes along and attractive pictures of happy people making their round visiting best friends began to surface on my Facebook feeds, I was GRIPPED with FEAR if there are no forthcoming visiting invites and no one coming to visit me, I am not going to be able to see any of my friends for this Lunar New Year. My desperation was further exacerbated by the fact that my younger brother Tate has been making his round visiting friends of his from day to midnight (raking in LOADS of angpow money in the process. Bloody hell he sure has loads of friend which is quite well off.) which left me comparatively SAD and LONELY.
Day Four (初四). The situation has come to a point that the usually passive me thinks that ENOUGH is ENOUGH and I began making desperate round of messaging to the closest friends which I usually team up for years whenever there are CNY visits to friend's place checking whether I can visit their place or not. It is also around the same period of time that Bei Shan thought of the same thing too that she made her public invites for Pai ni too. TaukeLip said OK for me visiting him so off I went to hang around his shop. It's also around that point of time that we finally got hold of Owen whom has been MIA for the past three days (turns out he turned off his phone and busy visiting relatives) and from that point on, a visiting plan has FINALLY came into shape. I got to visit Owen at his home before moving on to pick up Ah Lip, moving on to Bei Shan's place before all of us continued our journey to Bella (moved to a new home much closer to the city center) and ShanHui, both of them still as bubbly as usual.
What a GREAT NIGHT it was, finally got to meet and visit them. It never ceases to amaze me the vast range of topic that all of us would talk about whenever we got together from trend and prospect of 13th Malaysian General Election (any time now or within 60 days after Negeri Sembilan dissolves itself sometime during late march), a comparison of television and subtitling production quality in different countries (with specific emphasis on soap opera and drama) to a bubbling idea of new matchmaking app (tentatively FindLove) as a tangent from ShanHui and Bella's latest obsession with PhewTick, interspersed with hilarious reminiscing of our bygone halcyon days (of which the highlights were that Indian guy and his green Myvi that always block ShanHui's car back in St. Thom as well as imaginary drama featuring Titanic-esque sinking sampan at Sarawak River.). Amidst all the good vibes of hanging out with each other however is a new sense of exhaustion that comes with age and working life that most of us just weren't as energetic and enthusiastic when we were back in high school where time and energy seems limitless and whole day of doing rounds of visit seems like a physical challenge. Is it really that inevitable, the weariness that comes with age? Either way and at least I know, I wouldn't want to miss a thing...which is a shame when we spent too much time with each other that we casually forgot to take group photos. Then again, who needs photo when we have memories!
Day 8 (初八): Sunday, the very last day of the Lunar New Year Golden Week.
Epilogue: Reality. Oh dear. Make or break?








No comments:
Post a Comment