With the passing of Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Act 2013 which seeks to amend definition of marriage as "the union of two people regardless of their sex, sexual orientation and gender identity" in New Zealand House of Representative, New Zealand has paved its last stretch of path to becomes the 13th country in the world and the first in Asia-Pacific region to legalise same-sex marriage. As the final count of vote was read out with the act being passed decisively with 77 aye against 41 nay, the proponent of the bill and large majority of the public gallery immediately broke into rapturous ovation for this momentous event. Just as the chamber and the gallery began to settle down...someone in the gallery began to broke into song followed by the rest of everyone within the chamber, singing out Pokarekare Ana, a traditional Maori love song...
Pōkarekare ana, ngā wai o Rotorua
Whiti atu koe hine, marino ana e
E hine e, hoki mai ra, ka mate ahau i te aroha e.
Tuhituhi taku reta, tuku atu taku rīni
Kia kite tō iwi, raruraru ana e.
E hine e, hoki mai ra, ka mate ahau i te aroha e.
Translation:
The waves are breaking, against the shores of Rotorua,
My heart is aching, for your return my love.
Oh my beloved girl, come back to me, I could die of love for you.
I have written you a letter, and enclosed with it my ring,
So your people could see it how much I'm troubled for you..
Oh my beloved girl, come back to me, I could die of love for you.
As the song sings along, you can see one particular member of parliament receives hugs and flowers from her colleagues because she's Louisa Wall, the Labour MP who introduced this bill and a lifelong lesbian. I think even the most hardened soul can see how moving and momentous the passing of bill is not just for Ms. Wall and the LGBT community in New Zealand but LGBT community and everybody else who shares the basic human compassion and love across the globe as well. Little wonder New Zealand leads in various indexes detailing human development and liberty
Last but not least, another particular crowning moment within the debate in the final reading courtesy of Maurice Williamson MP from National Party by breaking rank with half of his colleagues in his party in support of the passing of the bill especially his hilarious but spot on concluding statement which I will quote in verbatim.
"I give a promise to those people who are opposed to this bill right now...I give you a watertight promise the sun will still rise tomorrow, your teenage daughter will still argue back with you as if she knows everything, your mortgage will not grow, you will not have skin disease or rashes or toads in your bed. The world will just carry on. So don’t make this into a big deal, this is fantastic for the people it affects but for the rest of us life will go on."
"One of the messages I had was that this bill was the cause of our drought. This bill was the cause of our drought! Well if any of you follow my Twitter account you will see on the Pakuranga Lake this morning, it was pouring with rain, we have the most enormous BIG GAY RAINBOW across my electorate, it has to be a sign!"
"Can I finish for all those who are concern about this with a quote from the Bible that is Deuteronomy, chapter 1 verse 29: Be ye not afraid."
Reason, love and compassion above bigotry, hatred and demagoguery. Congratulation, New Zealand.
Epilogue: Write stop write stop. Am I going to finish this in time? Knowing yet another junior who will be finishing her thesis earlier than me feels rather disheartening.
No comments:
Post a Comment