Prologue: Can't believe it's already November. *in sense of disbelief*
The weather has been quite rainy for the past few weeks. Undulating rain cloud sweeping across the land, tree swaying with the wind and streams of rain droplet trailing down from the roof. With such weather and ambiance, there's one song that come to my mind whenever I look out from my window but none more so for today because today...is Gloomy Sunday.
Gloomy Sunday as it is known in the western world is sung by Billie Holiday, the American Jazz Icon in 40s but the tune/score was actually the creation of Hungarian pianist and composer, Rezso Seress. Gloomy Sunday is also one of those earlier cases on how feeble to hoax and baseless rumours (pretty much the same level as those rubbish chain mail that you're supposed to forward or death. So far, I am still alive but human mind apparently remained easily duped) when the song was dubbed as the "Hungarian Suicide Song" since the 60s. Apparently anyone who listens to the song will inevitably commit suicide because of despair. The rumour was fueled even further when Reszo Seress himself committed suicide.
That's was the 60s til 80s but I doubt anyone in the 90s will aware about this song at all since it has been replaced with even more ridiculous hoax and false rumours circulating on the wide anarchic space of internet. Gloomy Sunday and its perceived suicidal inducing quality has since reduced to mere trivia that I watch from QI. With that aside, the song itself can be quite melancholic with droning voice Billie Holiday. Billie Holiday's Gloomy Sunday is the one that made it famous and it has since been covered by various other singers in a variety of style and discipline. It's all available on Youtube anyway so I will just post the Billie Holiday's version as well as the original piano version.
Piano Version:
"Gloomy Sunday" - Billie Holiday
Sunday is Gloomy,
My hours are slumberless,
Dearest, the shadows I live with are numberless
Little white flowers will never awaken you
Not where the black coach of sorrow has taken you
Angels have no thought of ever returning you
Would they be angry if I thought of joining you
Gloomy Sunday
Sunday is gloomy
with shadows I spend it all
My heart and I have decided to end it all
Soon there'll be flowers and prayers that are sad,
I know, let them not weep,
Let them know that I'm glad to go
Death is no dream,
For in death I'm caressing you
With the last breath of my soul
I'll be blessing you
Gloomy Sunday
Dreaming
I was only dreaming
I wake and I find you
Asleep in the deep of
My heart
Dear
Darling I hope that my dream never haunted you
My heart is telling you how much I wanted you
Gloomy Sunday
Epilogue: Still failed in starting the engine of writing thesis. Where's my fuel? Meanwhile, midsemester holiday in campus. Expect widespread famine for those who stayed back.
No comments:
Post a Comment