Thursday, 8 November 2012

Mesyuarat Pertama Dewan Perundingan Pelajar Universiti Sains Malaysia, Semester Pertama Sidang Akademik 2012/2013.

Alternate Title: A Chamber of Misrepresentation that Nobody Knew nor Cared. Yeah you know what you are.

It's back again alright. At least they finally bothered to rectify the typo on that decorative Parlimen Mahasiswa/Student ParliAment roundel on the right.

Despite in full knowledge that majority of campus population are woefully uninformed or stubbornly ignorant about things that could actually affect their campus life coupled with any writing that has pretension of seriousness is by default repellent in attention-deficit, perpetually distracted mind of students these days, more so if the writing is done in a language they have little grasp in and/or shamelessly shunned due to "pride"  i.e. English (Ya, saya perasan omputih. Though I am well-informed that perhaps it's only my writing that's repellent.), it is my needless, fruitless and futile sense of civic duty and responsibility combined with perhaps a tiny (unfortunately rapidly diminishing as time gone by) bit of yearning that everything could be done better for greater good and labour of love (you may vomit now.) on the basis that people should know more and be enlightened, not to mention a selfish desire that perhaps this writing could somewhat shape public opinion that  compelled me to continue this running regular feature of campus current affair into its fifth edition ever since the inception of DPPUSM four session ago. There's no deny though that it's getting tedious  especially when the things that seemingly (not exactly meaning actually) concerns students is almost same-y for the past four sessions with repetitive themes and each time the level of discussion in terms of importance and intellects fails me leaving me at best utter boredom and at worst, flabbergasted and embittered, all yearning and hope shredded into smithereens. Yes, I am drained and yet I am still sat through a couple of hours in front of my laptop in the middle of the night coming out with some writing about this uneventful event that people won't even mention in passing.

Anyway, enough with my exasperated rant. USM Student Consultative Assembly will convene for the fifth session on this Saturday 10 November 2012 on a day which couldn't be anymore inconvenient for everybody as mid-semester break starts as sun sets on this coming Friday until Sunday 18 November. For all Assembly Members and Observers: you'll have to delay your holiday plan by a day. In fact, I might not be even going to follow this session because as expected early on, my application to be observer in the chamber has been rejected once again. (Probably those MPPs who were on duty at their booth the day I submitted their form has chuck my application into a bin upon receiving it.) Good thing I didn't submit any motion too considering the harrowing experience I had last time ONE YEAR AGO. (Yes, I am a miserable, tiny man that hold on to grudge for years towards anything that crosses me wrongly.). I still have bone to pick towards Sekretariat DPP for failing once again to provide bilingual (BM-English) public notice for the benefit of the whole campus population or at least at the postgraduate residence in which at least half are international students. If the MPD Election Committee can make an effort in providing inclusive bilingual notice (albeit with horrendous grammar but still effort has been made so I will give credit where credit is due.), I don't see why Sekretariat DPP (and by extension, BHEPP/Student Affairs and Development Division) can't. So much for "representing student's voice". Come to think of it, what about the latest list of members and observers in the chamber?

Coming back to the motions itself, the complete list has just been released at Sekretariat DPP's page just today (Wednesday 7 November 2012) and I will just give my personal (hence inherently biased. Read at your own risk.) commentary on selected few that managed to pique my otherwise moribund interest. Do take note that my commentary is based only on the list Seketrariat DPP provided on their Facebook page without the full complete document detailing each of the motions' justifications and demands. (Because the public have no access for that information.) Any judgment and commentary is done to the best of my knowledge and assumption derived from previous sessions and general observations. If there's anything particularly worth noting regarding this session is the higher proportion of motions pertaining to postgraduate affairs and it's not just because postgrads finally have our own student representatives for the first time in USM Campus election's history hence a positive direction in improving postgrads' presence in campus community as a whole. (though I still haven't let go at the fact that those peeps who were supposedly elected are totally not representative considering the appalling voting rate among postgrads. 100+ votes?! That's not even 10% of the postgrads. Oh well. If there's anything that could make them work, I would do it.).

To improve reading, please open another window for the complete list of motions as I will just note about respective motions with bullet points. Also do take notes that the order of motion in the list might not correspond to the actual proceeding when the session actually convene this coming Saturday.

Motion 1: Enforcement of Dress Code and Guideline for Performance in Events.
- So those fun-hating, self-elected arbiters of mores and vices who thinks that any sight of bare skin will ultimately leads to debauchery and destruction of humanity as we know it still haven't let go of that Gangnam Style aerobic session. These conservative god-botherer (ok, mostly orthodox, PMI moslems in this case but I would say the same thing to all orthodox conservative regardless of religion.) just can't stop minding other people's business on what other people wear in the name of defending modesty. The list of things that they can't stop worrying in fear of their religious wellbeing (akidah, so to speak) just keep on growing to ridiculous proportion. Dress code is all about wearing appropriately according to the occasion and situation. Hence, I still support wearing labcoat in lab (health and safety), wearing formal wears for official events or presentation and long pants/jeans in library and lecture halls. (Library and lectures are bloody freezing, you know. It's for your own good to wrap up.) For everything else, it should up to individuals' choice and taste.

Another important concept that these busybody need to grasp is the concept of "appropriateness" being relative to personal values and worldview. The obvious example within USM itself is the enforced dress code between School of Education/Pharmacy (formal wears/uniform) v.s. School of Communication/Arts/HBP (pretty much whatever they fancy) because different professions have different emphasis on what actually mattered. For the god-botherers: if you want to cover yourself from head to toe and you're comfortable with it, go ahead and do it. This doesn't mean that you have the right to impose your value on other people who's operate on a vastly different value system altogether and force them join you just because what other people wear "offended" your level of modesty. Ahh before you reject my argument using "you're forcing your value to me too!", let me remind you that if I am actually forcing my value to you, you would be pretty much naked. But of course, you're still pretty much covered to your level of modesty and all I want is to just leave me and everybody else alone with what I wear. USM has been liberal (ooh the very word the conservative loathe) in terms of dress code (so long as its appropriate and sensible for the occasion) so let's keep it that way.

As for performances in events, it's really none of the god-botherer's business too on what will be going on in an event. By their level of modesty, probably an event shouldn't have any entertainment whatsoever. No pop songs, no rigorous dance. Good bye, rock concerts! Good bye, K-Pop! Good bye, ngajat (because of cawat)! Good bye, hip-hop/breakdance! Good bye, tango/waltz/ballet! Good bye, Bintang USM! Who will be the judge and on what basis the guideline will be set if you wish to "regulate" what performances that will be going on in a event? What value are we exactly applying is this motion ever going to be approved? I am worried now that whoever submitted and presenting this motion will play the moral card to compel everyone in the chamber to vote for the motion, chastising whoever that disagreed with them as immoral and all of them just can't afford to look bad to the public. I really hope that the discussion about dress code will concentrate on "situational appropriateness" rather than some arbitrary moral value of modesty based on some religious text but my pessimism is telling me otherwise.

Motion 3: Campuswide Smoking Ban
- Good, but GOOD LUCK. No matter how stringent the enforcement will be, addicts will always find leeways in order to satisfy their daily dosage of fags (Brit. Eng: Cigarette). It doesn't mean smoking ban shouldn't be enforced though and who knows after being fined all too many times for smoking, they might at least wise up by not smoking in campus and substantial fund can be raised from smokers for other more useful activities...such as anti-smoking rehab programme. AFAIK, Pusat Sejahtera does have anti-smoking rehab programme but I wonder how's the turnout for it. Meanwhile before we eradicate smoking completely from campus, we will have to vigilant and report cases of smoking to relevant authorities.

Motion 4: Fellowship and Graduate Assistant Scheme to cover full term of a postgrads candidacy.
- It's a decent proposal but there will be a few insurmountable obstacle that is FUNDING not to mention whether the number of Fellowship and GAS will be cut down even further if this is going to be implemented. The Postgrads Student Rep will definitely have to deal with IPS and Research and Innovation Division regarding this and I am somewhat certain if this is passed, it will be subjected to deliberation and availability of research funding. Time to find other sponsors then.

Motion 6: Filtering and/or Censoring Films that contains "Islamic elements" (sic) by Department of Islamic Affairs (Jabatan Agama Islam, JAIS) before being released.
- Public affair motion about general issue at large, I am not entirely sure what does the proposer meant by "berunsurkan agama Islam". Does it mean elements of Islam in general or elements OFFENSIVE to Islam? If it's the latter, again the issue about "offensiveness" just as the appropriateness of dress code, it is relative to individuals' respective value system. If that so-called offensive element (conservative have all the thing in the world to be offended anyway) forms an integral part of the director's creative expression and context of storyline, does it mean JAIS will have the power to ban for public consumption? Satire and art house film will be hit hard if JAIS starting meddling with film screened in the country (as if Lembaga Penapisan Filem is not doing enough shit in messing up films.) and I certainly don't want this to be passed simply because I don't want to public to think that USM students in general prefer more censorship in films. In fact, my gut feeling tells me that particular shit Z-grade movie deliberately designed to offend will pop up somewhere in this discussion...

Motion 9: Medical Fiqh Studies to be made compulsory for Medical Students
- Fiqh is Islamic Jurisprudence, in a nutshell code of conduct based on Quran and Sunnah and enforced by Fatwa by clerics. I don't mind if Medical Fiqh Studies to supplement to existing Medical Ethical Codes but what I am worried once again is the arbitrary ruling and judgment based on religious doctrine dictated by fatwa which may be incompatible with existing medical practice and actual situation of medical field. It will be horrifying if a doctor refused to treat a patient just because of certain procedures which may be crucial to save their life is incompatible with existing Medical Fiqh. I am apprehensive with religion dictating science so if this is going to be implement, it can only be supplementary, not compulsory. Then again, I am not a medical fiqh expert so I am ready to be enlightened about this...like the question about male Gynaecologist.

Motion 10: Application Process for Mybrain15 and Living Expenses Allowances.
- Well, Mybrain15 hates me and I am not qualified to apply anymore because of their warped application cycles so YES to hasten the application process. As for living expenses allowances for all, it's a sensible suggestion too though (as only PhD are inclusive for living expenses allowances. Masters only cover tuition fees.) again, FUNDING will be an issue in which the standard answer of MyBrain15's focus is on increasing the number of PhD holders and support for Masters just to create a stable feeder to PhD hence secondary to MyBrain15's focus. Good luck in dealing with MoHE!

Motion 11: Service Counter to remain open during lunch time.
- YES. *leering at Jabatan Bendahari/Bursary at their ridiculously long lunch hour and early closing hour.*

Motion 12: Postgraduate Student Affairs to be included under Department of Student Affairs and Development and Student Activity Transcript for Postgraduates.
- I agree regarding Student Activity Transcript for Postgraduates (though by nature of being postgrads, research will remain a priority but if they're postgrad who still wants to meddle with undergrads in club activities, I don't see anything wrong in honouring their participation with MyCSD points and transcript. Yes, please let us have a print button at that page.) but I am more curious about the first part: so where exactly does IPS exist under currently? What exactly does the term "Student Affair/Hal-Ehwal Pelajar" entails and again where does IPS comes into the picture? Is this suggestion implies of diminishing IPS's role in postgraduate affairs?  I am definitely curious about IPS's responses as well as BHEPP's opinion about the fundamental responsbility about "student affairs". Are postgrads students students? That's one mind-boggling lacunae to be filled there.

Motion 15: Disciplinary Action against Supervisors that mistreat the grad students they supervised.
- Well, there are unsavoury tales floating around on how certain unscrupulous supervisors systematically mistreated the students by demanding them to do things well beyond actual remit of responsibility holding them ransom using passing/failing their thesis. If situation has reached that point, there's probably one place one can go to: Ombudsman Office. One question remains: are the disciplinary board dares to take action against their own colleague or all of them might actually in cohort in extorting their grad students...it's definitely unfortunate for anyone who ended up in this living hell so yes, this should be approved.

Motion 17: Menu Rakyat 1Malaysia
- As far as I know, Anjung Semarak did it for a while but then it failed due to costs so I wonder is the scheme actually feasible and whether they're other willing taker in USM. Though to be fair, USM campus food (obviously depending on which Desa's cafe and what do you eat mostly) is already quite affordable especially when compared to off campus establishment.

Motion 18: Stable wifi in all Schools.
- inb4 PPKT "we're working to ensure all wifi points is in working condition while we're trying to secure more funding to upgrades our servers and bandwidth. Meanwhile, please refrain from engaging in activities that takes up bandwidth such as Youtube and be considerate for everyone especially when it's provided for free." Well at time the connection is shit even when it's Youtube free weekdays so I would say it's just excuse used by PPKT to shift what supposed to be their responsibility to students in order to hide their incompetence. Rinse, repeat.

Motion 19: Campus Election (signatures by VC/DVC/Deans required in order to be candidate.)
- there are so many that could be picked upon regarding the running of campus election system wise and implementation wise (I originally planned to submit a motion about this too...but I digress. Why should I let my idea to be mutilated again without me inside there to defend it?) and I would say the issue raised here is indeed valid because there are stories of selective favouritism of VC/DVC/Deans (with different degrees of veracity...) towards "Institution-Approved", Pro-Establishment (note: Aspirasi) Candidates rather than anybody else. Sensationalism or conspiracy, I would say requiring signatures by VC/DVC/Deans for a valid nomination is a needless redtape that stifles enthusiasm and participation of students in democratic process in campus limiting the electorates' choice to those selected groups of lobbyist that's able to pull strings around. Getting rid of this redtape will certainly encourage inspired individuals to come forward and stand as a candidate regardless of platform rather than the current impasse with meddling lobbyist that essential demands anyone to join either side of the lobbyists in order to secure nomination and fundings for victory. Perhaps if we are able to get rid of this one, more doors will be opened up to amend the current inadequate system we have for campus election.

Motion 21: Kad Siswa 1Malaysia to be use in Koperasi USM.
Agreed. Actually if anyone of you actually bothered to go through official Kad S1M website about the list of participating business partners then it will come to realization that 1) the range of participating business partners is actually quite limited 2) SO. MANY. CATCHES. Like you cannot spent more than RM20 on one receipt (KFC) or you must visit their office directly to obtain their discount (Malaysia Airlines, Firefly, Plusliner) and so on. 3) Some of the discounts actually end THIS YEAR with no firm decision on extension. Like Tune Hotels. Or Malaysia Airlines 25% discount eligible until this year end and 15% only next year. The only saving grace if any is that there are a few well-known participating bookstores such as Borders, MPH and Kinokuniya but still only eligible for purchase of books. No manga for me then.

That's all I have to say about the upcoming session of Student Consultative Assembly and it's already 4am in the morning as the time of publication hence way passed my bed time. One last word before wrapping up: I sincerely hope that the aggregate level of discussion this time will improve now that we have postgraduates representatives who is supposed to be more enlightened, knowledgeable and on a higher plane of awareness and understanding. On the other hand, the cynical, pessimist part of me is expecting either mute tree stumps that somehow acquire a mobile limb to raise on order of their master or cheap theatrics, potshots and barbs that hollow in both rhetorics and contents. One side of me want to be proven right and another want to be proven wrong. Which side of me will prevail this time? Will I even tune in to the webcast this Saturday or I will just enjoy Youtube on weekend instead? Stay tuned!

Epilogue: Mid-semester break soon. Will I make a bit more progress in writing before November ends? How about all those backlog blogposts in October that I am supposed to clear up in order to keep my blog alive? Meanwhile, feeling extremely drowsy for staying way over my bed time.

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...