Sunday, 31 March 2013

狼が本当が来た。。。

Prologue: In the mood for writing Japanese title for my recent blogpost these days for no apparent reason. If in doubt, there's always Google Translate.

最近現実が地獄のようになってしまった。

Life has been ridiculously rough for the past one week, on the verge of being unceremoniously kicked out from my hostel when the tenancy ends three months than my actual candidacy because of rejected application and have to write an appeal letter begging not be kicked out into the clout of finding subpar rental room outside and my supervisors -FINALLY- have enough shit from me for having lack of progress and issued an ultimatum/death warrant.

When the double whammy came back to back, I genuinely felt I am going to collapse and bawl myself out and at various point for the five weeks whenever I got to have human contact, I do came close to choking and tearing up. I am actually feeling the chill of Death's scythe on my neck ready to give that one last push to sink the blade into my jugular and end the tiny shred that is left of my life.

I finally touch hit rock bottom and boy, it was solid pain.

Then things got slightly better because it has to. About a day after double whammy, got a call from the hostel management which gave me a verbal agreement that I can stay until 31 July (my original termination date of my candidacy) and the ultimatum has finally transformed into the only and final push to wrap things up and I got decent productivity out of it. Let just hope the momentum is enough to keep me going until the end and at  least have to survive the ordeal in the end.

Meanwhile, all those turbulent emotion has lead to some irrational retail decision courtesy of the Big Bad Wolf Books Fair making its first northern excursion out of Klang Valley to Pearl Island. I actually went there twice on two separate days just to escape for the maelstrom of shit happening in reality.

Spoils of war.
Here's a parade of books which I bought on whim, grouped according to themes and topics that piques my interest.

Geekish/nerdish obsession with science and numbers. Dunk Your Biscuit Horizontally is particularly interesting because for every entry the book listed, there's an actual scientific research/journal entry cited which definitely improve its veracity. That is also the book that I learned that an actual research shows that praying for other people in order to alleviate its illness doesn't work at all. So much for placating my anxiety.

Mad about Fry and that's why I bought these two: The Book of General Ignorance as a companion book for QI as well as Paperweight, a collection of Stephen Fry's writing and column. Too bad I didn't find his biography on sale or otherwise I would have snapped it up too.

Obscure but increasingly mainstream-ized interest: Geektionary and an Azumanga Daioh official English tankoubon. The tankoubon is definitely immediate purchase: just look at its RM5 price tag!

Probably due to the increasing shitty predicament that I am in that I bought all three of the Shite series by A. Parody  (not real name) which is basically compilation books about useless, obscure and off the beat facts and factoids and fictions about our shite world as a whole.

To round up the cynic part of me against the cruel little hopeless blue planet: The 50 Most Overhyped Things in History and Unnovation, a satirical un-product magazine for disgusting human like you and me by my personal favourite angry British man, Charlie Brooker.

But all hope is not lost because I still need to satisfy my unhealthy obsession appreciation with things of carnal nature....even when it purports to be a genuine, academic writing about English slang and a Victorian collection chronicling the various curious pleasures befallen the usually restraint Victorian genteel.
The frenzy, dizzying atmosphere at the Big Bad Wolf Books Fair with books piling up as far as eyes can see and all marked with single digit price while shoppers shuffling about holding boxes and bags and luggages of all shapes and sizes just to be filled with books that catches their eyes, you just can't help it to reach out for one book before moving on to take another at the other section and not before long, a towering stack of book began to form on your increasingly sore hand for holding so much book in your hand. As soon as you slavishly hand over your cash at the cash counters and march out of the fairground, one will almost immediately and inevitably consumed by intense guilt because of the irresponsible spending that you just made earlier and you still have no inkling of an idea on when are you actually going to read and finish that book. The guilt trip for me is when I have to resort to using my parent's angpow that I vowed not to touch it until the next Chinese New Year as well as return trip of ATM machine.

I guess this is what they called guilty pleasure.

Epilogue: Last post of the month. IMUSTSURVIVEIMUSTSURVIVEIMUSTSURVIVE. *chanting mantra to keep myself going* Oh yeah, Jesus did survive being crucified and rose to heaven today (Easter)...on the eve of April Fool. He certainly trolled the Roman and the Jew by rising up as an undead.

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...