Disclaimer: Content actually not related to That Was The Week That Was (UK). Proof that a good title can really get stuck in mind even though it has been years since the last time I actually spot it on Wikipedia while Wiki-hopping. That's occasional goodies from the Wikis for ya, my (almost non-existent) readers!
....a week that was tinged with fleeting memories and nostalgia of the halcyon days.
 |
| Universiti Sains Malaysia 48th Convocation Ceremony on 19-22 September (Thursday-Sunday). With only four days and seven sessions (only one single session on the first day), the 48th Convocation is among the shortest among major convocation ceremony (bar the mini-convo) in recent years with noticeably reduced number of graduates due to policy of reducing student intakes at the turn of decade. No worries though because the policy has been reversed in recent years and the number of admission has grown again though not sure for the better or for worse, APEX wise...or perhaps a indication of the current state of USM's APEX status these days? *curiouser and curiouser* |
 |
| A round of standing ovation to self and all educators. Meanwhile, accessibility in motion with live Sign Language Interpreting for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Students and audience. |
 |
| Yes, I am back for this convocation again for the fourth session (21 September, 9:00am) which involved School of Humanities and School of Management this time to sent off the 2010-2013 batch of BATIan which is among the smallest batch of students BATI had for years. This is also the first batch of BATIans that I did not share an overlapping year during my time as undergrad and the only relationship or direct contact I had with them is because most of them participated in my research as respondents and a couple of them provided hospitality and companionship during PPA-14 (it just so happen the travelodge I stayed in is the same as the student committee members!) hence it is with gratitude and obligation that I show up for their convo too to give them a one last farewell before each went on separate endeavour. Being the smallest batch of BATIan in years, they enjoy the perk of receiving personalized graduation giftpacks with fresh stalk of sunflowers, a mug (I think) and a personalized keychain with their nickname on them. What a nice gesture indeed from the BATI Club. Unfortunately for them though (can be attributed to being too small of a batch too) that no post-convo group photo op for them due to miscommunication of gathering place as well as being dispersed all over the place with family and crowds. Oh well, this will have to do to represent them. |
Convocation week is also a week that was lip-smacking, mouth-watering and tastebuds-tickling.
 |
| Convex (Convocation Expo) 2013 which lasted from 18-22 September) apparently featured the theme of "Volunteerism as a Way of Life'" which I regard as yet another wishy-wishy APEX-sy attempt to make Convex more meaningful that it usually is. As for me though, sod with the theme because the only section of Convex that I (and probably, most of the campus population!) actually cared about is the snack strip and food tent section, the actual crowd drawer of Convex! |
 |
| It is festive season such as this that is ripe for adventurous exploration of grubs that otherwise won't even be featured in any of your daily diet (either because it can't be find anywhere in the vicinity or just simply haven't thought about it before) but willing to give it a go just for the occasion. For this year however, I've only made two trips within a single day (for lunch and dinner) to the fairground since I no longer stayed in campus and I am feeling a bit lazy to make the trek in campus repeatedly. Then again, I covered pretty much everything that piqued my interest within the two trips itself such as revisiting the perennial favourite of Melawati Doonia (tm) Beef (for lunch, top left) & Chicken Kebab (for dinner, lower left), Roti John (for lunch, top center) (both Melawati Doonia Kebab and Roti John seems to be unavailable around USM campus...or it's just me that didn't search hard enough) and Hak-ni-Lah Coconut Shake (for dinner, lower right, available at Sungai Dua Pasar Malam) as well as trying out new things such as meatball spaghetti (top right, student owned stall, verdict: iffy.), nasi dagang (middle left, outside vendor), takoyaki (middle center, verdict: also iffy), fruit tart (middle right, Food Tech students' production, only bought it because it's RM1) and last but not least, Murtabak Maggi (Lower center) which is basically maggi curry mee shaped into a round cookie shape (verdict: interesting!) basically bucking the trend/concepr of making ramen into bun shape. As a closing note for the food trail: the roti john guy seems to recognize me when he say "kamu orang lama kan?" (or to that effect) which stunned me in a way as a untimely reminder of how often I actually remained in campus... |
One last parting word for the BATIan juniors: 明るく広い未来へ進めよ、若者たち!
Epilogue: 本気に出さないと、一所懸命に頑張らないと、死んじゃうかも。僕の番は来るのか、来ないのか、ぜんぜん見えないよ。。。
No comments:
Post a Comment