Friday, 8 November 2013

[Filler] Lorde - Royals.

Prologue: Well that's a new low in maintaining my blog's presence, innit? One month hiatus and a filler post like this just to make it looking less desolated? An indicator on how low my motivation in writing has gone to these days in all fronts despite the availability of materials and issues to be working about. I just couldn't give a fuck about my intelligence and emotional well-being anymore.

Being largely confined at home permanently perched in front of laptop doing fuck-all in a home that doesn't have radio or television (there's the internet but my laptop is pretty much a western pop-culture wasteland), it's pretty rare for me these days to catch a glimpse of whatever that's going on in the pop music scene these days. However, I came across this gem during that one unplanned trip (family matter) down under just a couple of days ago and I got hooked on to it when I got back. (Listening to the song repeated on Hitz.fm chart while travelling back up north in a four hours car trip does has its effects too but that aside.)

What's so good about this song that warrant its place in this blog as a good share? Simple beat, powerful vocal and the song being a testimony against the garish, kitsch and lavish excesses commonly espoused by modern celebrities aspirational lifestyle and the widening disjoint between pop culture and reality experienced by everybody else, all while yearning for simpler time and pleasure for the common people. Most remarkably, it's written and performed by a 16 years old New Zealander singer-songwriter, Lorde (stage name). Having an award-winning poet as mother certainly aids in honing her skill as songwriter but still it's incredible to create chart-topping hit in such tender age. (Justin Bieber certainly didn't write his own song by the way.) Where was I when I was sixteen years old anyway? (Struggling to fit in a strange environment that is top class in highschool.)

So take it away, Royals by Lorde. And we'll be never be royals. The music video certainly accentuated the lyric by depicting common teenagers doing common things...and all of them are Lorde's own classmate in highschool.



I've never seen a diamond in the flesh
I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies
And I'm not proud of my address
In the torn up town, no post code envy

But every song's like:
Gold teeth
Grey Goose
Tripping in the bathroom
Bloodstains
Ball gowns
Trashing the hotel room

We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams

But everybody's like:
Crystal
Maybach
Diamonds on your timepiece
Jet planes
Islands
Tigers on a gold leash

We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair

And we'll never be royals (royals)
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us, we crave a different kind of buzz
Let me be your ruler (ruler)
You can call me queen bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule
Let me live that fantasy

My friends and I we've cracked the code
We count our dollars on the train to the party
And everyone who knows us knows
That we're fine with this, we didn't come from money

But every song's like:
Gold teeth
Grey Goose
Tripping in the bathroom
Bloodstains
Ball gowns
Trashing the hotel room

We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams

But everybody's like:
Crystal
Maybach
Diamonds on your timepiece
Jet planes
Islands
Tigers on a gold leash

We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair
And we'll never be royals (royals)
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us, we crave a different kind of buzz
Let me be your ruler (ruler)
You can call me queen bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule
Let me live that fantasy

ooh ooh oh ooh
We're better than we've every dreamed
And I'm in love with being queen

ooh ooh oh ooh
Life is great without a care
We aren't caught up in your love affair

And we'll never be royals (royals)
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us, we crave a different kind of buzz
Let me be your ruler (ruler)
You can call me queen bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule
Let me live that fantasy

Source: Lorde - Royals Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Epilogue: Ordeal and torment and guilt and envy and anger and frustration and demotivation ad nauseam.

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...