Prologue: Currently under the control of Procrastinator 7500. (taking the form of laptop with internet connection and free time) I think it upgraded itself. More than deadline next week and I haven’t heed the warning. And ohh, first time blogging using Windows Live Writer! A pretty neat desktop blogging software which enables you to blog directly from your desktop, online or offline. The layout is exactly adapted to the setting in your blog online so you can see how your post gonna turn out in your blog once you posted it up. It support Blogspot and Wordpress as well!
The updated version of final exam timetable is out. Please proceed to here and type in your personal ID number number to check your personal timetable.
So, how’s my exam timetable for this semester?
As you can see from the relatively shorter column, I only have 3 papers for this coming final exam because the other two papers that I have this semester is full coursework. However, these apparent rejoicing had been shadowed by the caveat that these 3 papers that I am going to face in the final exam happens to be those papers which I think are very obnoxious and had given me nothing but trouble and heartache through this semester until the end. FML. Another thing that about the final exam this time is yet another long period between two exam papers namely between LHP453 (6th of November) and HBT302 (17th of September), a gap of 10 days. Which can be a boon or bane depending on how I carry myself for that ten day period though I had the feeling that I will end up slacking the whole time.
News no. 2
Sigh. Those UM-ers must be schadenfreude-ing right now.
Fellow USM-ers. I believe all of us are very well aware that the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking is out and the annual USM bashing regarding us being accepted into APEX Programme that happened for the last two years is coming back again. The few things that I wish to point out over here:
1) The rating methodology used for THES-QS are quite skewed especially regarding the peer review criteria. Just read the Wikipedia entry about it under the criticism of the ranking system to get the general picture and read the feedback from the academicians.
2) For Pete's sake, what's the point of fretting over a mere ranking reviewed and published by a private company? The materialistic obsession towards the number is not exactly encouraging and only create unhealthy competition.
3) Science Po, a great (French) institution which I personally revere and the leader in Political Science and Public Administration was opted out from the THES-QS ranking since 2007. I wonder why?
In my opinion, USM is very well on track with the APEX transformation plan which is suppose to last for 20 years. And USM only got into the APEX programme for like, 2 years? USM is chosen because USM has a solid proposal based on Sustainability in Higher Education to create a people-centred university which respect the value of sustainability towards the environment and society. All the experiments that we are taking right now (like managing our own intake of students for example) are just the beginning of a great transformation in years to come. USM will be great in its own way. Give USM more time to prove it.
What I think the USM can do right now is to cut down the jingoism (“Lestari” and “1Siswa1Malaysia” is seriously overused). Start encouraging student activism and volunteerism in issues that matter. Establishing greater freedom of open discussion. Normalizing campus politics (The dichotomy of Aspirasi vs Pro-M is downright WRONG. Both faction working each to their own benefits has little real agenda or goal whatsoever. Student Representative Council is almost a puppet organization with little power and respects. Expands the membership to include backbenchers! But oh, no youth wing of any party to be allowed here in this university. Not until race based politic is dead and real political ideology comes in.) Involvement in decision making. Respect the academics. Create a greater sense of pride and belonging towards the alma mater. Student traditions. (Yes, I am attracted by these aspects in western university particularly American. Aggieland! Seriously for the past 2 years here in this university, I am not exactly aware about much of the USM’s tradition and lore other than the Durian Valley and Chancellor’s Rock. Otherwise, we are just colourless and sterile) A happy campus population.
We shall overcome the challenge and be great!
Epilogue: Main hurdle next week: HBT302 Report (Culo! Trying to delve into the mind of a Chicano), LHP453 short story (Ugh. My brain is so dry right now.), HBT304 presentation. (My groups video are so gonna be drab.) and HBT213 presentation and report. (Progressing slowly and painfully!) Ahh, stop procrastinating, ME! Nudge me, nudge me! Cut the distraction down!
No comments:
Post a Comment