Sunday, 11 September 2011

Minggu Siswa Lestari: A Compilation.

Alt. Title: Minggu Siswa Lestari from the eye of a bored, procrastinating postgraduate dicking around the campus snapping blurry candid picture along the way.

According to the official timetable, today (Sunday, September 11. Wait this date sounds familiar...) marks the very last day of Minggu Siswa Lestari or Orientation Week in Universiti Sains Malaysia and everything will end by noon right after Briefing for Kem Pimpinsiswa. The campus will fall back to normality again with everybody else coming back today ready for class tomorrow (Monday) while lagging down the speed of wifi in USM. (Goodbye, three months of high speed connection.). I will need to get use to campus having souls around. Nevertheless, here's a compilation/abridged version of what's going on for the past week.

-7 September Wednesday-

Event of the day: Student Registration over DUP and briefing in DTSP for Majlis Sambutan Siswa. Briefing for Ko-K courses in the evening.

Manage to catch a glimpse of the second group of Bakti-an Freshmen making their way to DUP to complete their registration. Made me remember of my good old days as a freshman as well as PPMS in 2008. We walk! Walking is the epitome of USM campus life!

I look at the USM's full fleet of buses making their way shuttling student of RST back and forth between Padang Kawad and DK Foyer non-stop for about an hour every time a session over DTSP ends with a somewhat old people dismissive of young people look. They've got it easy though it's understandable that RST is the furthest Desa of all from DTSP in USM. Sometimes though with the wait for buses lasting an hour, I would believe that walking can be faster than waiting for buses to come.
-8 September Thursday-

Without any doubt, this day is the highlight of the whole week. Firstly in the morning, the symbolic event to mark the beginning of the freshmen's life in USM: Majlis Sambutan Siswa and I got to watch live...on USM Live Streaming.

Not the best quality though as the video size is tiny (presumably to lower the use of bandwidth for streaming) and the voice quality was RUBBISH. I can't hear what the Sec-Gen of Government's speech is about even though I use my headphone (which is already cranky) and trying to comprehend to my best ability. Interesting he talked about Challenging the Status Quo while Malaysian university (and education system as a whole) seems to geared into promoting status quo on everything rather than open up for discussion. Never mind about that as long as someone in the audience might be inspired enough or something.

Reciting the Student Oath by a group of handpicked first years reflecting the diversity of our campus. Yeah, word it this way, Jaya and Ms Fadzilla (Emcees) instead of "Mewakili pelbagai kaum blah blah blah." We're marred by Status Quo even in stylistics. Another thing that I notice: NO MORE SCARFS FOR THE LADIES? Has austerity measure finally kicked in and scarf (with limited usage except symbolic uses in this ceremony) has been phased out in order to save money? Awww. Meanwhile, men still have their USM ties for free. Phew!

The event ends not too long after and the top administration along with fellow faculty made their way out from the hall. The procession music is still the same after all these years. The camera managed to catch a glimpse of Prof Dato' Omar Osman (DVC Student Affair and Development) in his usual smiling, warm demeanour. Student life is getting better under him unlike those iron-fisted DVCs Student Affair in other Malaysian Public Universities.
The day continues in noon with registration of Ko-K berunit (uniform bodies, sports, cultural troupe etc). Pictures taken while I made my way to pay my rent. (more on that in other post.)

All the booths were set up ready to face new students' question. The uniform bodies always presents their full regalia especially the ROTU/PALAPES with rifles and camps! (Didn't manage to take the ROTU's booth though.) Not to be outdone, the Jazzbands shines with their impromptu recitals.

As I return from settling my obligation with university, students started to stream in, all wearing sportswear presumably waiting for another big event later.

Immediately the whole DK foyer was packed with students that I have to go out from the side in order to go back to Bakti. I hope they doesn't confuse Ko-K berunit (that's with modules and units to fulfill) with other campus student activities though. I admit when I was in their shoes the last time, I got confused too but in the end. I figure out or someone told me that it's not compulsory to partake in Ko-K berunit since I can cover it up with language papers to fulfill the U Paper requirement. Sitting in class pronouncing foreign words is definitely more comfortable than marching under the sun. Time to shed the impression of Ko-K in highschool, people! We're in university, we've much more freedom of choice now!
All of the new students are herded around in Sportswear because it's Walkrobik Kampus in the evening, mass cheering competition between Desas in USM. Interestingly, they depart from DTSP this year and I manage to catch the Walkrobik Campus crowd in full glory as they made their way passed the Fajar Harapan Junction to USM Stadium. The police has set up a barricade for any vehicular traffic to let the student make their way along the road. It reminded me of my good old time too. The first thing that I noticed immediately though: NO MORE CHEESY T-SHIRT? AWW! Austerity measure has kicked in again!

The procession is lead by Fajar Harapan, the winner of Walkrobik Kampus cheering competition for a few consecutive years now. The only thing I wonder though: with so many things going on in one day, when do they practice their cheers.

Fajar Harapan.

Next up: Aman Damai complete with Yellow Cap as some effort in unifying their presence. Where do they get the extra allocation for the cap anyway?

Aman Damai.

Cahaya Gemilang, my old Desa during my orientation week day as well as the one I devoted my service to during my time as a PPMS in 2008. CG has a penchant of weirdness in decoration (what's with the paper umbrella? I remember during my time, we dressed up one of them as a turtle.) and people getting hyper.

Cahaya Gemilang.

Tekun, my home during three years of my undergraduate life. They whipped out their mascot, The Tiger. Very cheesy Merdeka Harmoni-esque banner of MCI though. Pergh.

Tekun.

...and MORE Tekun. From the series of photos we see now, we can safely deduced that at least a 2/3 of freshies lives in RST. One more snippet though: my supervisor called me after catching me snooping the juniors. Apparently she's in one of the car behind the blockade at one corner.

Indah Kembara, with red bandana and face paint which is apt for the home of the ROTU even though they've shed their army bunk impression for the past few years after a series of upgrading work.

Decking out Raya Banners.

Immediately behind is Bakti Permai. No Cak-A-Cak-A this year?

As you can see from here, Bakti Permai freshmen is the smallest of all lots.

Coming up, Restu.

As usual for RST crowd, another large grouping.

Last but not least, Puteri-Puteri Desasiswa Saujana!

The only Desa in USM that houses ladies and all ladies!

More of Saujana!

Meanwhile, the top leadership of USM followed behind on bikes too!

As the procession made their way to USM Stadium, traffic at all sides of the road is blocked. What a glorious sight it was.

The crowd reached USM Stadium amidst fluttering flag. The emcees were busying announcing the arrival of each Desa which is met with loud cheers.

About an hour of cheering and aerobics and such (while I was having dinner over Gil Korean Cafe. More on that next time.), it's time to go back. This time however, CG and Bakti have their chance to taking a bus after much walking for the past week!

Student making their way to the fleet of USM buses waiting over Padang Kawad.

All Desa will be having their dinner later at night. This is Fajar's dinner site, under the tent which was used for parents' briefing on the first day.

 -9 September Friday-

Language courses and registration by SoLLAT/PPBLT in the morning and course briefing by respective school in the evening. Student are pretty much on their own now by evening.

Briefing and registration. Remember students: compulsory language paper that you need to take: LKM400 (BM) and a minimum of four (4) units of English papers. (Depending what you get for your MUET. If you're Band 4 and below, LSP300 and LSP40X. Band 5: LSP40X and one LHP paper. Band 6: Two LHP papers.) After fulfilling these compulsory language paper (besides the one listed by school themselves. Certain school made certain LHP compulsory), then they have all their freedom in deciding what paper they should take for language to fulfill their U paper.
Actually, I am supposed to sneak over to course briefing for BATI over DK ABC, main reason is to have a clearer picture of the new course guideline for them (it's 3 and 1/2 years now for them) as well as to get a look of my research material juniors. I actually notified my course director about my intention to come and she says it's alright for me to drop by at the small group briefing after the main briefing by the school. In fact, I actually went to the extent of making my way to DK ABC and had a peek over through the window at the door...

Then I chickened out. The briefing had already started the moment I arrived, 15 minutes earlier than the time I receive (I should've pre-emptively expected that and went there an hour earlier instead of half an hour earlier. Official events never follow the timetable!) and my sociophobia kicked in. I was thinking of dropping by there early before students come in and say hi to the lecturer but now that it's already started, it's not nice to make an entrance while people is already talking on stage with all the lecturers (which I know all of them looking at you). Dammit just when I hope to sit somewhere in front clicking powerpoint. In the end, I made my walk of shame back to my hostel and nap.

To make up for lack of content of this day, here's some more random pictures.

How many vanity banners do you have, Idzuan?

Meanwhile, CONVEX is making rigorous campaign in hoping of roping in facilitators for the Concocation expo later this month. Ahh convocation. It's already a year now since I donned the purple robe and pink/red sash. When will it be next time a couple of years down the line.

-10 September, Saturday-

Course registration day for student at respective school. From this day onwards, student are left on their own to make their way to respective schools. The usual campus shuttle buses have started their operation today and student have to figure out on their own which bus to where. Because of my missed opportunity the day before, I decided to head back to PPIK just to check what's going on before I head out for breakfast. The rain didn't make it any easier though.

The alleyway leading to the conference room, where registration occurs. I have to tread lightly as the soles under my slipper has worn out.

Manage to take a quick snap of whatever that's going on inside. That's Puan Asmah over there, the good old PPIK staff with the demeanour of a gentle matron. Didn't go in to say hi though because I am basically snooping around as an outsider in undergrads life.
That's all for Minggu Siswa Lestari Sidang 2011/2012. Class starts tomorrow, people! BATI had their LKM400 first thing in the morning on MONDAY again which is what I had before during first year. It's so hard to drag self from bed first thing in the morning for 8am class! Meanwhile for the rest of USM-ers, see you all around if I actually venture out of my room. Can't wait to see the dopiness of fresh face junior seemingly at lost making their way around campus trying to find the whereabout of their classes (Tutorial room at DK foyer and Pusat Bahasa claimed the most victim of lost juniors) with their Matrics Card hanging around their neck for a while.

Epilogue: Got myself lots of blogging material while making little or not progress in own's research. Priority fail. Meanwhile, did my supervisor actually went through my survey form? Nervous spazz kicks in!

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...