Wednesday, 27 August 2014

The Dog Days are (almost!) Over.

Song of the day: Dog Days are Over by Florence and the Machine. The one and only song best suited to describe my current state of being.


After four full years of toil and procrastination and grief and demotivation and pain and (insert more adjective),  my thesis has finally came into its proper physical form on 27 August 2014...and at a cost of RM517.50 for a good ten copies of it courtesy of the long time photocopy shop underneath USM Library. Why did I let them print instead of printing myself? Saving self from sorting hell (regulation demand four coloured copies of draft thesis during submission. Imagine trawling through the sheer number of coloured pages.) is one reason while my own printer (or printer setting) is being a tit to me being another. Whatever that I printed using my own printer seems to be smaller than actual size so not sure is it paper size setting problem or something else. Anyway enduring torrential downpour lugging two boxes of thesis, the merry go around begins.

First (and most important) stop): Institute of Postgraduate Studies, Universiti Sains Malaysia, THE coordinating body for everything postgraduate. Paid my thesis examination fee (RM750 of it), check if there is any outstanding debt (jumlah: RM 0.00), compile all requisite forms, drag a random bystander who was waiting together with me (she's graduating this November, god's willing. Hope that she can submit her hard cover copy in time) to sign my Declaration Form as witness (good thing it's allowed!), got myself a little scare when thesis title in Draft Thesis Submission Form missing a single quotation mark as well as a word when compared to what is written on thesis and system (good thing officer allows correction of form using pen), forgot to enclosed report for Turnitin scan, rush off to the photocopy shop again to print the first page of Turnitin report, went back to submit...and I am done with IPS. Oh, updated my research progress report in my Campusonline profile too.

Next stop: School of Humanities/Pusat Pengajian Ilmu Kemanusiaan to submit the six remainder of the thesis to school. Staffs and supervisor wished best of luck and be prepare to receive a call for Viva within a few months time. Small convocation date (in April. For those postgraduates and undergradute who finished their study in odd timing) remains uncertain despite persisting rumour of it being integrated into a single large convocation in November. If that's the case...I might just attend the same graduation ceremony as my younger brother (!). Submitted my expense claim too so at least the pain of burning RM1300+ in three hours will be alleviated.

Pusat Pengajian Ilmu Kemanusiaan/School of Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia. I will be back again for a couple more times in a few months time. Meanwhile, fingers crossed for submission process and godspeed!
As I left School of Humanities, I can feel the burden and fatigue slowly fleeting away, not just figuratively but literally as well with loads of hefty sized theses being submitted at these two location. One step after another pacing towards the car with legs of my cargo pant drenched because of the prolonged rain since last night, I let out a series of sigh of relief mixed with a slight smile and nervousness. The end of the tunnel that was so dim and seemingly endless for the past four years of existential torment and guilt has finally appeared, all inviting and hopeful.

I do understand there are at least two more hoops to go through namely surviving Viva Voce and completing final edit for hardcover before one graduates but at least I would dare says one major phase of my life as a Master of Arts student in Universiti Sains Malaysia is by and large, over. I can proudly proclaim that..

The Dog Days are (almost!) Over

...and all before my candidacy ends on 31 August which happens to be my birthday as well.

Now...the waiting begins and fingers crossed.

Afterword: Meanwhile as a part of the whole moving on theme, I am moving staying places too and everything has to be done for the next two days! *looking at the unkempt rubble that is my current room* This is going to be quite a challenge and the rain better stop!

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...