Saturday, 22 November 2008

2nd year first semester's final exam review series: part 2!

The dust had finally settled...the blood and toil and tears through this first semester of the second year are finally comes to an end...The exam, which is a landmark of its own is very crucial is determining whether I will stay on the Dean's list or not because believe me, the odd is against me. But what's done is done though, and I am quite relieved myself that I am confident that I did my very best for this exam.

Now with the climax of exam is finally over, let us continue the second and final installment of my 2nd year first semester final exam review series. The papers that will reviewed in this post is HBT112: Tatabahasa Bahasa Malaysia dan Tatabahasa Bahasa Inggeris dan Penyuntingan on the 14th of November, LLJ300: Intermediate Japanese III on the 19th of November and last but not least, HBT103: Bahasa dan Undang-undang on the 2oth of November, Thursday.

HBT112: Tatabahasa Bahasa Malaysia dan Tatabahasa Bahasa Inggeris dan Penyuntingan
14th of November 2008 (Friday) , 3pm at Dewan Utama Desasiswa RST

This paper is consist of 2 major parts. The first part involves editing two translated text (in which we are provided with the original texts as well as reference) as well as comment on your editing of the text and explain the justification of the editing citing two of the editing that was applied in the text. The 2nd part consist of 3 questions in which we have a choice of doing any two of it. This part revolves mainly around the grammatical aspect of BM and BI.

Commentary: Too many ground that needs to be cover, TOO LITTLE TIME. I spent my two hours writing away without much room to take a rest right until the end and still I throw away at least 10 marks just like that cos didn't finish it in time. The editing and commentary was kinda hassle but still manageable but I only managed to edit all the obvious mistake (those two text are seriously a joke of its own LMAO) but didn't have enough time to edit the grammatical error properly as I go through both it in one shot using pencil. Totally out of time to check on editing as well so can only pray that it was done correctly on the first glance. The commentary of editing however was a real pain though, as we need to refer to two of the editing and justify the accurateness of our own editing. Both of the editing that I cites in the explaination are from the first text as I don't have time and didn't manage to find any editing which I can elaborate on the 2nd text. The two examples that I cited are the obvious one though and it is due to the lack of understanding on English language by the translator so at least the explanation is ok. I mean, phoney (as in false alarm) risk = panggilan cemas. Emergency call WTF?! Risk equals opportunity = Risiko Peluang Saksama. LOL As if there is risk in equal opportunity!!! I was glad that I manage to cover this 50 mark in time so I hope that my effort will translate itself into accepatable mark.

Move on to the 2nd part: the grammar. And it kinda sucked in the end. Out of the 3 questions, I chose to do the 1st and the 3rd question. First question are divided into 2 subquestion: 1a) Explain and elaborate about comparitive grammar. (tatabahasa perbandingan) while 1b) is a translation question with a catch: translate the following 5 sentences below and explain on the change occured in the grammatical aspect during the course of translating these sentences. I have no idea WTH did I wrote for comparitive grammar cos I was like rambling all the way about the importance of comparing the grammar of source and target language in process of translating. As for the question 1b), it doesn't take me long to realise that explaining the changes occured in grammatical aspect will take a great deal of time so I only manage to do the translation before I head back to the first part of this paper. And this is the part which I threw away 10 marks without putting up much fight in order to concentrate on other parts.

Another question that I did, the 3rd question was again divided into two subquestion: the first one is on identifying the type of phrase etc of the underlined part of sentence and state the function of the underlined part in the sentences, ten sentences all together. And the 2nd one is a simple translation question on 5 sentences. This question was relatively easy compared to the other two questions but I was slightly trumped on the first part especially on the function of the underlined section of the sentences. But other than that it was satisfactory.

As for the question that I didn't do: the 2nd question which revolves on adverb and adverbial phrase. First part of it is translating but the part that gives the jab is the second part: commenting on the translating technique which can be applied in translating adverb and adverbial phrase. Ish. I don't like this kind of open-ended question at all and to top it off, its about a category of grammar which doesn't exist in BM and require certain level of ingenuinity in translating it. This question is totally OFF.

Verdict: I hope I can at least get a B and praying hard that the coursework mark might back it up a little...

LLJ300: Intermediate Japanese
19th of November 2008 (Wednesday), 9am at Language Lab, D10, Pusat Bahasa dan Terjemahan

In general, this paper is consist off 3 general parts: (cos it doesn't make much distinction in dividing it anyway) Listening test, general grammar and short comphrehension and essay.

Commentary:...it was kinda meh as it's the usual way to test. The listening test was done again, in a slow tempo so its quite easy to catch. The grammar was slightly (just very slightly) difficult cos I didn't memorize much of the kanji but otherwise it was ok. Guess I kinda neglected this paper way too much. The 3rd part, short comphrehension and essay was ok but I am not exactly too sure about my choice of words in the essay as well as the grammar used. LOL the short essay topic is about your future dream and 有名で、上手な翻訳者になりたいと書きました。自分書いた事は全然わからないけどwwwwww.\(^v^)/

Verdict: I hope I can still the an A for this but the chance was slightly hampered by my own unmotivation on this paper this semester...*fingers crossed to get an A*

HBT103: Bahasa dan Undang-undang I
20th of November, Thursday at Dewan Peperiksaan D, DUP

The paper is consist of two part covering two aspect of this course: the first part is about the law and the second part is about the translation. The first part are further divided into 13 shorts question about the law from contract law to labour law. The second part is are consist of two questions, the first one is about identify the techinique used in the translation of the given text, with the source text given as reference, which was then followed by commentary of the translation of the underlined paragraph and suggest better translation to replace it.

Commentary: The first part was ok as all the questions are short question which only worth 5 and 10 marks so all the answer in the first part are short. But of course its not without its own caveat though, like the question on finding equivalent legal terms of English in BM in which I haven't even encountered until that moment. Contempt of court, break clause in BM? Where's the legal dictionary when I need one...because we are not allowed to bring it in anyway. (the English to BM was easy though.) Some of my answer are rather brief and general, like the function of the Supreme Court of Malaysia, the definition of collective contract as well as the definition of terms and regulation of a work contract and the extent that the worker and the employer need to abide to the work contract. The only question that I throw my mark away is about the definition of industrial action (tindakan perindustrian) or something. Didn't even encountered it at all till now.

As for the 2nd part, it is as expected from Dr. Goh, as he said it before that he will not gonna let us get an A that easily. *tsk* Anyway, the first part, identifying the translation technique applied in translating the legal terms in the text, citing examples from the text as well as commenting and suggesting a better suggestion on the underlined paragraph was a total pain. I am not exactly too sure about whether I identified the technique correctly or not as well as the explaination of it. I have no idea what the heck did I commented other than its too literal and the long sentences confuses the target audience. The translation part however, was easier compared to the first part as it is from a legal textbook instead of a real legal document so it wasn't laden with too many legal terms. The only part which poses as a slight trouble was the metaphor/literary expression used in the judge's verdict (...not to lay the nail on the coffin but instead breath life into it...full depth and width of the language used...) but I think I translated it accordingly. (...and not literally:memakukan keranda FTW!)

Verdict: Harder than expected so hoping for the assignment mark to back it up and manage to get a decent grade out of it.

Conclusion for the whole exam period: It was full of ups and down especially on the stupid CMM221 not to mention totally sap dry of energy. But one way or the other, somehow, I am satisfied (with a mix of relieve) with my own effort given in facing this series of exam and the hope of surviving this series of exam was satisfactory...the only concern right now is whether I can hang on to my Dean's List or not...the chance of it are fainting but I will still crossed my finger for it.

Hopefully next sem will give me some mercy and won't torture me to death...even though I kinda doubt it that it will...I need strength!!!!!!

Epilogue: Can't wait for the holiday even though it's only one month!!! And I will be flying back home tomorrow evening...and my transport to the airport is uncertain!? Oh dear...Coming post: 2nd year first semester reflection and *maybe* new resolation for the next semester...

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...