Thursday, 26 May 2011

Clearing up Backlog (Part Self).

Prologue: Taking a couple of translation part time job recently (OK it's more like they come to me: a couple of my coursemates have their own contacts. I am not that proactive at all.) so I am earning a little side income from time to time. Hopefully work will keep coming from time to time especially now that I am got some time on my hand.

Alternate title: What I had been Eating and Doing Around for the past Three Weeks.

Just to clear up some backlog (note: photos of event) and making my blog remotely alive so here we go, starting with the furthest backlog!

-12 May 2011 (Thursday)-

Manhattan Fish Market had this student promotion going on right now during all weekdays until 30 June which (upon presenting your student card as prove) you can order a student meal for only RM10 which comes with bottomless coke. Coincidentally on 12 May, it's TailouWong's birthday! Feeling the urge to go out, I asked Tailouwong out for lunch at Queensbay Mall's Manhattan Fish Market (the place he's working right is just around the corner anyway)!

Happy birthday, Tailouwong!

What I ordered: All Star Fish and Chip. The portion of the fish was....MINISCULE.

Should've just ordered what Ah Wong ordered, Seafood 101.
Thus, I had yet another lesson about advertising optical illusion 101. The only thing that made up for the excess empty space in my stomach is the bottomless coke. The fish fritter looked so big on the fliers but when it appears in my plate, it looks like it comes from one single fish divided into two. Oh what else can I expect from a student meal? Am only paying RM10 anyway. *shrug*. After lunch and bid farewell to Tailou, I went for my usual grocery shopping trip at Jusco before heading home. It was raining outside. It has been a while!

Looks like late evening isn't it? It's only 2pm plus in the evening.
-13 May 2011 Friday-

Surprise lunch trip! Even if it's Black Friday, luck has been really kind to me! I had been itching to go back to Carpenter Street Cafe again after I went there twice to personally verify the authenticity (by a Sarawakian's tastebud standard) of their main offering. So far, laksa and tomato mee passed with a thumbs up but there's one last thing left: Kolo Mee. What's in my way however was my own laziness and procrastination so had been putting it off for a couple of time already including on Friday. Anyway, it was around 12+pm when I made my usual march to Harapan Cafe for the Indian Vegetarian stall when I suddenly received a call. It was from Vincent (he's working in USM btw). He was thinking of going to Carpenter Street Cafe for lunch along with Joeyin (his colleague from IO days) and since it's a Sarawakian place, might as well bring a Sarawakian along! WHAT A GREAT TIMING and right at the doorstep for Fajar! *awwwwwwww yyeeaaaaaahhhh* Rushed back to my room, changed and off we go to Carpenter Street Cafe!

It was packed because of Friday having longer lunch break (2 hours) and we actually had to wait a while before there's a seat for us. Nevertheless, we sat down and I go through a couple requisite information about Sarawakian cuisine. Vincent ordered laksa (It's more like I pestered him for laksa lol. He said it was good but he admit that he didn't have any previous experience so it might not be a fair judgment. Come to Kuching then and I will show you around!), Joeyin ordered Tomato Mee (she was genuinely interested!) while I ordered the coveted Kolo Mee...in RED. The moment has come.

Kolo mee...IN RED.
Verdict: KUCHINGITE APPROVES *thumbs up*. The key winning point here is definitely the noodle which is the common type back in Kuching. I really think they airlifted their noodle everyday. The flavour is there as well and they used sliced red chilli in vinegar as condiment unlike the typical green one prevalent in peninsula. If I were to nitpick what's missing, maybe it's the amount diced meat not proportionate to the amount of noodle (need more), the vege are all stems (maybe they run out of leaves when it's my bowl) and the charsiew feels...juicy. (I know it's pretty lol I need pick on this but Charsiew in Kuching is...drier in a way.) So yes, definitely recommended for anyone who haven't been to Kuching as an introduction and as well as for Sarawakian who stayed in Peninsula for far too long.

-20 May 2011 Friday-

Still feeling particularly good with myself over the SUCCESS I had the day before, I went to reward myself with a better dinner by trying out the newly opened Kopitan Restaurant right across USM Sungai Dua gate situated at where ShuangXing Kopitiam (RIP. I miss the economical rice. PORKS.) used to be. How new the premises is you may ask? It's only the second day of business when I am there! Malaysian is the type of people that will try out new places at every turn hence business was thriving while I was there for dinner! Anyway, let's have a look on what they offered and what I had.
Notice the congratulatory flower bouquet? Pardon the bad quality of photo. My camera slacks in lowlight condition.
Because it was teeming with customers inside, I had to settle for the awkward outermost corner seat. It took me a couple of inquisitive glances and gestures before the waiters took notice of me and present me with the menu but I think I will let it go because of the chaotic dinner crowd as well as inexperience of waiter in making rounds while serving. Anyway, their offering: the immediate impression I can while skimming through their menu is that it's Roti Bakar Kopitiam (You know, the one over Ivory Plaza near RST?) with extended offering. For a usual kopitiam retro-chic chain popularized by Oldtown, Kopitan offers quite a range of choice in full course set meal good for lunch and dinner. Their rotibakar and coffee offering are decent as well but for dinner, I am aiming to satisfy my stomach so the set dinner is just right for me.

Claypot chicken! KungPow Chicken! KamHeong fish fillet etc!

Their cheese toast looks fairly attractive as well. Save it for next time!
Jot down my order on the sheet. Another inquisitive wave and glance to attract the attention of the waiter again to pick up my order. My order arrived not too long later standard for dinner time crowd.

White coffee for drinks and Kamheong Chicken Chop with rice and soup. Wait, what's with the small amount of soup? Do they spill it or something?
Concluding impressing: despite how spartan the presentation is (what else can we expect anyway) the size of the chicken chop was pretty generous so my stomach was satisfied going down with rice. The soup however is not even half of that bowl so pay attention while pouring the soup, kitchen staff. Overall, I think I can go back there once in a while if I am in mood for better meal and/or campus cafe closed on weekend. I wonder do they open early for breakfast...

----------------------------------

That's all for now I guess. Originally I was thinking of lumping all the backlogs together in one single post but it's getting a bit too late now. Look forward for at least one more post in clearing the backlog featuring none other than the usual SISTAHood action! After clearing up the backlog, more personal adventure too so remember to bookmark and check out my blog from time to time!

Epilogue: Can't believe May is ending soon! So when should I go back to Kuching then? Meanwhile, I am suppose to submit that one last translation task on early June as well. *gasp* Better start working...wait. What it's already 1.25am?! I had been distracted from my work to the great world of Internet for far too long!

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...