Tuesday, 3 May 2011

How I Spent My Extended May Day Holiday.

Prologue: First post of the month! I am on a roll yo!

Incidentally this year, May 1st which is celebrated as a public holiday in Malaysia as Labour Day falls on Sunday (which is already a rest day) which means that the Monday that followed will be replaced by an extra holiday. This means that all Malaysian, workers or students will have an extended weekend to spent! Even though being a postgraduate means that we don't really follow a rigid timeline or have fixed holiday per se (Gosh, it's as if we are living in another dimension!), it doesn't mean that I am not entitled to be excited about the extended weekend! In fact, I am feeling fairly adventurous for some reason so I decided spontaneously with only a sketchy mental framework of a plan to venture outside the safe cloister of campus, using nothing but RapidPenang, my own foot, sweat and money! Having sketchy plan as well as the scorching Penang means that the plan are actually staggered across two days but nevermind about that, let's get the exploration going! Pic spam ahead.

-1 May 2010 (Sunday)-

Original plan of the day: go to KOMTAR, take the free RapidPenang CATBus to go around central Georgetown and we see how thing goes from there! Went off to Sungai Dua around 11-12 something and boarded on 301 heading towards KOMTAR in no time. (Fare: RM 2). All seats taken when I boarded the bus and becomes more crowded as it goes along. Looks like foreign labourers took their time off too. Stand for at least 20 minutes but otherwise the bus trip itself is uneventful.

Spotted this right before reaching KOMTAR: Banner making promotions for political parties only! Election promotion: SRS BSNS.
Alighted at the Prangin Mall underpass/Lebuh Lintang and immediately spotted the ICTMall @ Komtar. I had always wondered what's actually available inside but I never got the chance to actually explore it. Since I am free anyway, might as well make a detour and see what's inside.

Empty billboard waiting for advertiser. There are plenty of available space for future tenants especially at the mobile phone/camera floor. Oh by the way, each floor is divided according to it's specialty in which ground floor is food court/miscellany, first floor is camera/mobile phone (in which there are plenty of empty lot)...

...and the second floor where the computer shops are. This is where I can actually see people because it's located adjacent to Prangin Mall and 1st Avenue Skybridge link as well as the old Komtar complex. There's Labour day promotion going on with people distributing fliers and there's one particular promotion that's relevant to my interest. More stories on that later.
Speaking of old KOMTAR, there are plenty of renovation works going on with ceiling gutted and floor tiles being bare concrete at the moment and walkway become narrow because of separators...all happening while business goes on! Despite suffering decay and neglect for the longest time, many business still survived despite the hardship and with all the renovations and recent developments going on, looks like KOMTAR is ready for a new lease of life to become a vibrant shopping district once again like the good old days. Is it me or PDC (Penang Development Council) under the Pakatan Rakyat Government has been doing a fantastic job reviving KOMTAR? (OMG I am praising political parties. Don't catch me, UUCA!)

Certain area areas dimly lit though with renovation going on even though business and people move on as usual. I decided to spent my time figuring out KOMTAR finding out which exit leads to which road and such. Went around popping here and there!

Exhibition about Georgetown as World Heritage Site and its conservation effort located right beside KOMTAR Popular Bookstore. They closed the Prangin one and moved it over to the slowly rejuvenating old Komtar which incidentally its original site. The old Komtar is basically one huge maze, a symbol of the old glory days of Georgetown in which its on it's way to claim it back.

All those urban exploration has made me hungry but where should I eat my lunch? Prangin Mall is a bit...dingy and overcrowded for my liking so I head back to ICTMall and march over to 1st Avenue using the Skybridge link. The cool air-con breeze blasting my face is welcoming. 1st Avenue vs Prangin Mall: a whole world of difference. I think the skybridge links across different mall around KOMTAR are starting to form a pedestrian system of it's own, good urban planning I must say.

Went back to 義 Cafe for lunch again located at LG floor of 1st Avenue. Originally planned to go to KimGary but there's just too many people out there. Oldtown is blergh and SushiKing is..SushiKing. Yi Cafe is the only one not crowded so I went back for their bento set which comes with miso soup, orange juice (which is actually just syrup + water) and a (pitiful) slice of fruit. The good thing about Yi Cafe though is that it only charge 5% service tax unlike all those chain restaurant which charges full 16% service + government tax. Grr.

After having my lunch, starting to feel a tadbit restless so kinda wanna calling it a day. Going around Georgetown FAIL but hey, at least I got myself the famous RotiBoy Mexican Bun as a consolation! Plus I can always come back for more anyway!

Head back to ICTMall to go to the bus terminal located at the bowel of the complex while pondering about their labour day promotion. This is the old Komtar side entrance. There's a blood donation drive going on organize by Burmese Society or something because there's Burmese script appearing on their billboard.

Old KOMTAR KFC with its branding still stuck in the 90's family friendly era (instead of the hip era branding that's been being implemented across all KFC branches).  I guess it really ride through the downturn, refusing to die even when the rest of the complex is decaying. With the renovation done, I think itself too will be ready for branding update. The escalator there leads to the bus terminal so off I go.

The best thing of RapidPenang: ICIS which display on time bus schedule. Good thing keeps on getting better. I am thinking of applying their Rapid Student card just to tap the full potential of RapidPenang. Boarded a 304 and headed back to USM.

New development while driving along Jalan Masjid Negeri. Look at those spanking new apartments block, adorned with warm colour. I wonder how many people can afford such luxury though.
So in the end for 1 May, Trip Around Georgetown will have to be pushed back til the next day while my mind is occupied with the Labour Day promotion over ICTMall. Spent the rest of the day pondering and making decision. Looks like I am definitely going back to Georgetown once again!

-2 May 2010 Monday-

Determined to make my day worth it for the extended weekend, I've decided to come back to Georgetown again for more adventure! Went out from my room earlier around 10:30am this time, took 303 this time and  reached KOMTAR around 11:00pm when most business should be opened by then. Went to ICTMall to settle what's on my mind and as soon as it's done, I went into the maze of old KOMTAR again to go to bus stop I know that has the free RapidPenang CATbus Hop On Hop Off downtown circulator/shuttle.

CAT actually stands for City Area Transit and it's a collaboration between MPPP and RapidPenang to provide a free shuttle around Georgetown core. CATbus follows fixed route so if you want to board the bus, the best place to do it is around KOMTAR where they have 3 bus stand at different corner of KOMTAR so choose whichever that suits you best. Watch out for the CATBus signboard!

And not too long after I reached the bus stop, here comes a CATbus. The service is not just popular among the tourist to navigate around downtown Georgetown but also the inner city folk especially the elderly too hence it's always packed to the brim with eclectic bunch of passengers.

As it goes around Georgetown city core, it naturally went passed lots of tourist attraction along the way like Penang Road for Chowrasta Market, Campbell Street for Chinatown, Fort Cornwallis and such.

It went passed St. George's Church too, the oldest Church in Penang which has done its renovation not too long ago.

After taking a turn from Light Street, I alighted at Dewan Sri Pinang/Padang Kota/MPPP bus stand. Dewan Sri Penang, a Modernist design is the main hall for event in Penang. Talking about event hall, I wonder whether Sarawak State Government has any plan to convert the old State Assembly Building into a proper event hall like Dewan Sri Penang. Our local arts and performance scene could use a major event hall and it will be a great use of old State Assembly Building too which also happens to be fall under modernist style of architecture.

Penang High Court. The reason I backtracked along the way is because I have always wonder about one particular monument located right across the high court.

Turns out that the monument is build to commemorate James Richardson Logan, a lawyer-administrator which I would say that this monument is aptly located indeed right across the high court symbolically reflect his profession as a lawyer. The monument is adorned with four statues on four sides reflect the value cherished in the profession of lawyer such as wisdom, fortitude and (I didn't read the other two) as well as a bas relif/silhouette of James Richardson Logan and the eulogy about him. Too bad that this status is completely overshadowed by the Magistrate Court and Parking Lot Annex which is UGLY.

The eulogy.

Continued along the road to the Promenade. Plenty of people laze around including a few that actually naps. It would've been a very relaxing place to hang around if it wasn't for the crows.

Cenotaph for the Unnamed Soldier with (dried up) flowering rings (not sure how that thing is called) laid to rest from the previous commemorative event. While the original cenotaph was built for the fallen soldiers of the World War I (judging from the year etched on top of it) but the Penang War Veteran Society has added their own extension right beside it to symbolically extend the purpose of cenotaph to include other war veterans such as from World War II and Communist Insurgency. Anyway, the perimeter around the cenotaph is enclosed within a fence to prevent vandals so I had to slip my hand into the fence to took this one.

The most picturesque sight in Georgetown that has adorned all too many postcards: the Municipal Building, currently still housing some of the MPPP's office even though most of them are actually located at KOMTAR. Even more picturesque at night!

The Promenade, looking towards the towering crane over Butterworth NorthPort.
Loitering around the Promenade, I am faced with a dilemma: where else should I go? This is what happen when you only have a sketchy mental framework for a plan with no extra research. Fort Cornwallis is right around the corner which I came before once during the good old days of first year. Though I still can't fathom why they need to charge an entrance fee for most museum and historical sites here in Penang. Museums and historical sites are free in Kuching! Paced around the compound before I made up my mind: To hell with the entrance fee! What I have is time! So of I go to Fort Cornwallis.

Entrance. There seems to be an event going on inside the compound with plenty of noise from the emcee.
As I approached the entrance, the RELA guard over there stopped me from entering. Conversation continues in Hokkien which I tried to answer and recall despite my limited proficiency in it. "Lu wu sticker bo? Bo sticker beh tang jip ki." "Beh tang jip a? Tourist eh sai jip boh?" "Tourist ai beh ticket." "To lok beh ticket?" "Ki Counter beh."

So I bought the entrance ticket from the counter for RM 2 (Adult) and it comes with a small pamphlet about Fort Cornwallis. Turns out that Phillips is having their family days over Fort Cornwallis and it's huge with jumping castles and fairground for kids and a huge area for F&B. Because it's a company event, those who came for the family day will be given a sticker for them to come in and out from Fort Cornwallis. All this happens when there are tourist visiting around! I came as a tourist so I do whatever a tourist does: taking pictures for the memories I didn't took in my first year.

The still functioning hence off limit Fort Cornwallis Light House.

The fortification with rows of cannon lining along ready to defend Penang. I bet those trees are not there though back in the days.

The munition magazine which lay empty inside. It was surprisingly cool inside though despite the burning sun outside.

Sri Rambai Cannon or the Dutch Cannon, the most famous cannon in Fort Cornwallis still facing the sea against its enemy even though it's already peace time now.

The reason it was Dutch is because it was adorned with Dutch East India Company's Insignia (VOC). The Quranic verse is there is because the cannon originally is a present from the Dutch to the Sultan of Johore back in 16th century. Sri Rambai Cannon changed hand a few times going around places until it was finally seized by the British and used for Fort Cornwallis.

The Chapel which is even older than St. George's Church but currently not functioning, laying bare and empty on the inside.

The statue of Francis Light, being in the mood with the family day. There are also gaols at one side of the wall which functions are information exhibits for tourist as well as camwhore site (IMMA IN JAIL woot woot!) but unfortunately it was badly neglected with untidy exhibition and damaged air-con and rubbish on the floor. Do something, Jabatan Muzium or Penang Heritage Society!
After I am done with Fort Cornwallis, I am faced with decision time once again. Should I call it a day and head back to KOMTAR now or continue walking? Where's the nearest CATbus stand? The only thing that I had in mind at that point is that I should I go to Weld Quay bus terminal because all buses are there anyway. Then I saw Beach Street or the finance street of Penang around the corner so I decided to walk through there before taking a turn to Weld Quay.

Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, built in Moorish style as a present from its loyal subject in Penang.
 
Swettenham Pier Cruise Terminal with a visitor from Star Cruises!

Beach Street has many gems in colonial architecture with the most prominent one is Standard Chartered Bank. Standard Chartered Bank is considered as an establishment here occupying its original office building adorned with Doric pillars and huge archway. There's a wedding photography session going on while I am around here taking pictures.

RBS or Royal Bank of Scotland. Not sure whether it's an old establishment here but the building look very fine!

Another old establishment here and equally impressive is the HSBC Building which features an imposing but minimalist Art Deco facade.

Slightly down the road is another Art Deco gem, India House which I suppose houses Indian Consulate back in the Strait Colony Era which features an elephant! Unfortunately though, the building is in a sad state waiting to be rejuvenated.

CIMB Bank. Definitely a newcomer but has spent quite an amount of money to refurbish the building into a fab office. Indeed, Beach Street features a plethora of old colonial building but while some of them are still functioning or received a new lease of life, many others are still left dilapidated...

...like this one located right across CIMB Building.  Georgetown Chemist it says. The round windows could really use a makeover. Anyone wanna invest in refurbishing the building. Where's Penang Heritage Trust and other bodies responsible for the restoration of historical sites?

Or do we really have to wait for private property interest to do the job? There's one of the project done over Beach Street called Logan House I think which now features an Art Gallery as well Subway and Old Town Kopitiam. Kinda tempted to buy subway but then persisted and walk on.

Took a left turn to Church Street Ghaut in order to reached Weld Quay. Another gem of colonial administration, the old Malayan Railway building featuring a clock tower. Currently housing the Malaysian Custom, I would say the building could use better paintwork. The godowns right behind it could use some renovation too. Weld Quay is located right across the road.

So this is the 大树下煮炒 that I always heard about. I thought it was located at the Clans bridge but it's actually located right across Weld Quay! It is indeed right under a tree sandwiched between two buildings.

Luckily I am in luck as there's one CATbus waiting at the terminal and even luckily for me, there are still plenty seats for me and sure enough, the bus is filled to the brim with waves of tourist and other passengers. About 15 minutes later, the bus finally departed from the terminal to make its round in Georgetown and another 15 minutes later, I am back at KOMTAR. I was making my own mental notes while the bus is making its round so that the next time I take it, I would be more familiar is finding the right bus stop to alight in order to reach my destination. Just found out that they do have a bus stop right beside the bus terminal.

Head back to 1st Avenue again for lunch. Going around the whole building while deciding where should I go including a visit to Cloud 8 using the long escalators up. In the end went back to the usual lower ground floor anyway. Kim Gary is filled to them brim as usual and I had Yi Cafe yesterday. So I had to make the inevitable choice left...
Old Town Kopitiam. The Nasi Lemak was...meh. Should've ordered the Hainan Chicken Chop Rice instead. Well at least I got my internet to update my Facebook.
After having my lunch, I decided to call it a day and ready to head back to USM...when I suddenly remembered about stocking up on life necessity so I drop by Giant Prangin first. Bought two 3 pack soaps because there's Labour Day promotion going on while being enticed to buy cereals and such. Control, control! I am such as sucker for promotion. Immediately after that, hop over to the bus terminal, boarded a 301 and headed back to USM.

Ok that's not all. Some of you might realized that I left out some detail in the early part of the 2 May taking about settling the stuff that I had in my mind for a while.

Introducing, Buffalo. Yes, I had succumbed to promotion and finally got myself an 500GB external harddisk. The price tag: RM 168 which as RM 5 more expensive then yesterday promo price. Reason: the price went back up again and the promo ends yesterday. Feeling sort of like "Okay." and I paid it after a few failed attempt to pester them for a lower price. I think 500Gb will suffice for now and I will wait for 1T when the physical size and price is even smaller! Finally no more worries about space running out in my lappie as I had MOAR space. Haven't used it yet but will be useful soon.
What better way to celebrate a great day by having an addition to dinner: a can of chilled Sprite which I got from Lawrence the other day in Genting while I made a discovery that the fridge over my dorm is finally plugged in! Woohoo!
Conclusion: Sunburnt face and arms but worth it. Definitely needs more planning though and now I had a mental picture on where should I visit next: either Cheong Fatt Sze Mansion, Peranakan Museum and Khoo Kongsi in Georgetown using CATBus once again or eating out such as finding out the taste of Sarawak in Penang. (BAYAN BARU?! GO!) or even War Museum at Batu Maung. So many places, so little time!

Epilogue: What else should I work on about my proposal. Right, the presentation slides. But bah! I am procrastinating!

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...