![]() |
| Source. Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri dan Selamat Bercuti kepada semua rakan taulan dan para kenalan! Semoga kedatangan bulan Syawal ini dipenuhi berkat dan dicurahi nikmat! As the holy fasting month of Ramadhan comes to an end as the sun sets on Wednesday (7 August), the arrival of 1st day of Syawal the next day Thursday (8 August) marks the celebration of Eid-al-Fitr (or in Malaysia, Hari Raya Aidilfitri). Aidilfitri celebration in Malaysia is usually filled with open house in which mouthwatering feast of rendang, satay, ketupat and kek lapis (this one is Sarawak specific obviously) will be served for throngs of visitor, a time of rejoice and camaraderie. This years is different for me as I consciously choose to stay back in Penang thus missing out again of my almost yearly routine of tagging along with parent to visit their colleagues. |
| This is the only bit of Raya festivities that I managed to catch (i.e switching on my camera and scurry over to my window) on the night itself. |
| This is the view I got to see from outside the window these few days. Rainy and cloudy morning. |
| Keen on experiment, I bought all three Tunamagik available. |
Of course, the new place that I am in is still not a perfect place to be particularly with regards to internet (or the lack of it) which left me reliant on my money guzzling Yes4G forcing me to make trip back to campus (good thing there's no one there now) in order to satisfy my internet addiction and keeping precious bandwidth spending lower. I've certainly taken the constantly available USMwifi for granted despite its frequent network fuckery and firewall. Can't wait for the PenangFON technician to come and install proper fixed ADSL internet which is the proper choice for a sociophobe me that stay at home most of the time. The room size is actually just slightly smaller compared to my previous room in campus but when a queen size bed is added in the middle, the amount of usable space within the room suddenly become pretty limited. As I lightly mentioned in the previous post, I have to buy my own cloths rack, table and chair which I have no idea what am I going to do with it when I finally moved out. Being off campus also means it will be quite a walk if I ever need to go back in campus to settle stuff and it doesn't seem to be closer whichever gate I am going to choose to enter the campus.
Another thing I've to bear in mind is none other than my current situation as an extended graduate student stuck in limbo in which this factor alone cast an unshakable looming and horrifying shadow from my otherwise blissful bachelor pad living. In fact, it was my third (could've and should've been last) anniversary of being a grad student about five days ago...and I only recalled about it yesterday.
Hence the title for this post, a comfortable but trapped existence, a canary cage.
Epilogue: Phew, finally confirmed my participation in the upcoming conference (and only when the website were updated with the schedule!). The only good thing about being grad student is of course getting your expense covered if we ever go to conference to present. Now, better get my procrastinating fat-arse back to work.



No comments:
Post a Comment