"Zam is a bitch and he deserved to be thrown in the gutter.
I'm pleased for this result. Let this be a warning to all the BN survivors especially our home MPs.
Now let me get something off my chest.
I'm sick & tired of listening to leftists noobs and wannabes calling Sarawakian and Sabahan voters stupid lah, blind lah, naive lah... Stop it la. This kind of crap only reinforces my feeling that orang Malaya don't have any idea what our political scenario is like...
Firstly, if people want us to vote for opposition insulting us isn't going to help. Funny isn't it, many opposition supporters feel insulted when government called them names and yet here they are doing exactly the same thing and calling BN voters names...
The average Sarawakian voter for the most part have no reason to vote their SPDP/PRS/PBB/SUPP MP out. To them, their MPs have done well enough at the Federal level.
The issues that riled up so many voters in Semenanjung don't have the same kind of effect here. To your average Joe Sarawakian, Hindraf, Bersih, racial tensions, all those things are Semenanjung problem. All alien. It sounds wrong but that's the truth. You go to places like Serian and Lundu and Sri Aman etc and you go ask what people feel.
Not that they don't care but for most part our own MPs aren't directly involved in these screw ups. The effects aren't felt here at all to be honest.
Another reason is the near total lack of a coherent opposition except for DAP in urban areas. PKR here is mostly seen as an outsider trying to force itself on Sarawakians. What they need is strong local leadership who bring up issues that affect Sarawakians and not some generic thing about change like what they did here in Petra Jaya. That's not good enough to swing voters.What we need is strong, home grown opposition.
Sarawakian political scenario is different. The average Sarawakian voter is different. The opposition needs to tackle us in a different way.
Our issues are different, mostly land issues and things like nepotism and lack of transparency as well as national issues like prices of goods and fuel. These are mainly state government issues. The time and place to vent isn't now. Let's wait for the State elections for that.
The main culprits at Federal level are MCA/MIC/UMNO. None of these parties contest here so no swinging angry backlash. Therefore BN wins, except in Kuching which is cool. Congrats to Chong, DAP Sarawak and supporters. KUTGW.
Let me say something else. When the results started coming, I smiled. I smell opportunity for Sarawak in Parliament. Sarawak BN now have 30 MPs coming. BN has 130+ seats. Sarawak BN now make up a quarter of that. Plus MPs from Sabah East Malaysia suddenly has half the hall to ourselves.
You know what that means? That means that we can be more demanding of the central government. We can ask for more and they will be less UMNO members around telling our MPs to wait and wait and wait... Now Sarawak has more power at Federal level. What will happen? Wait and see...
I'm going to meet with my PRS friend and make some recommendations. Maybe we can turn the current situation to our advantage and squeeze the Malaya BN.
So friends, strangers, I know this is quite a euphoric time for many of us. But please, the next time you feel like accusing Sarawakians of being blind and stupid, think first and ask WHY we did what we did..."To all opposition supporters, I'm pleased for you all and the election results. But let me give you a tip. If you want Sarawakians to join the band wagon, please refrain from calling us stupid for returning BN to power. We have our own reasons for that. More accurately, we didn't have any real reason to vote our BN MPs out.
Continue to call us stupid and rest assured, we will continue NOT to support you in the next elections.
A few more quotation from the comment section of KennySia latest blogpost reveals...
this, this, this, this, this,
Most the point here are really true regarding Sarawakian politic is highly local in nature. And even though Parti Bangsa Bumiputra Bersatu (PBB aka Pek Moh's Party), Sarawak United People's Party (SUPP), Sarawak Progresif Democratic Party (SPDP) and Parti Rakyat Sarawak (PRS) are under BN, there are essentially Sarawak being multiracial in nature. While the West Malaysian (which is mostly Malay, Chinese and Indian) are squabbling petty communal issues on whats and whats not, Sarawakians (which is mostly Dayak, Chinese, Malay, Orang Ulu, Melanau, Bidayuh, and others) are living with relative harmony with not much a complain. We are so much in the other world that 13th May Incident had little effect on us because its not our problem. In other words, West Malaysian party, whether it is BN component party (especially UMNO-crap, MCA and MIC) or opposition (PAS, PKR and somewhat DAP in a way) are largely irrelevant and incompatible to us Sarawakian. Single race based party will never get enough support from here because once they choose a race, they will discover that 70+ % of the rest will kick them off from this land. They will NEVER be able to represent the interest of Sarawak in any ground whether local or federal. We basically have no reason to kick off our local party simple because they did not commit those shit that West Malaysian party are squabbling in right now.
As for the wrath of our CM, Taib Mahmud aka Lord White Hair, yes he is as crony-istic and nepotistic as other BN-plutocrat is, I do have to cut one slack (just one, though) for him: he is the one (with the help from the rest of Sarawakian party) that has been holding back the entry of UMNO and other BN component party from west Malaysia into our local politic. And yes, even though he did it largely for his own personal agenda, but at least what he did is actually right for us Sarawakian. I can't exactly imagine the day he step down, when all those West Malaysian BN-crony came in and ruin every good thing that we are having now. Look at what mess Sabah is in now and you will know why we should never let those West Malaysian BN-crony into Sarawak. Racism is almost as West Malaysian as it is.
And one good thing that came out from this election: those West Malaysian BN-crony need to be thankful for the Sarawakian and Sabahan for consistently supplying the much needed parliamentary seats. (in fact, without the grand total of 54 BN parliamentary seat that came from East Malaysia, they would have been a goner) After ignoring much of us for years, now they need to take us seriously. Even SUPP, SPDP and PRS, local Sarawakian party have bigger representation than MIC and Gerakan which is a federal party. Maybe it is time to let us have more say regarding issues that belong to us (especially our petroleum and timber money) as well as bigger cabinet representation. Besides that, we should maintain our special status (with greater autonomy) within Malaysia to maintain the peace and harmony that we have now. Never, EVER let those racism crap enters Sarawakian politics!!!!
LONG LIVE SARAWAK for being diverse yet united!!!!
9 comments:
Brilliant summary of Sarawakian politics, Zhe Rong. It's totally true - another thing that is apparent is the need for Federal powered development in the state, which might explain the continued support. We've too many people on the Internet who support the opp blindly.
Interesting times lie ahead.
Have to thanks to those Sarawakian blogger (which I quoted) who comment on KennySia's blog. Otherwise I won't even realize the fact at all.
We are just different to Malaysia, (again quoting from the comment section) like Quebec to Canada.
Vive le Sarawak libre!!!!!
You really think that sabah and sarawak can make more demands since more MPs now in the Parliment? Still hoping for the corridors? Dream On. As usual, I think that your MPs will be completely silenced by AMNO in federal.
As people say, chinese and indian are 2nd class citizens under BN rule. I say, sabahans and sarawakians are 3rd class citizens. Sabah has now become the poorest state in Malaysia. Many Sabahans an Sarawakians natives are shipped to west malaysia to replace foreign workers as cheap labours.
MPs from Sabah and Sarawak are not given any meaningful full ministerial post, despite of contributing almost 40% of the Parlimentary seats, the most the get are deputies with no power.
In the 80s, Amno was non existence in Sabah, now Sabah CM is from AMNo. They are demolishing Buddhist temples in Sabah. Here in west malaysia, you will not get license to build churches or buddhist temples. Soon when amno established themself in Sarawak you will not be building anymore churches or temples.
Think of it.
Dear anonymous:
Correction: it's UMNO not AMNO.
Federal Ministerial position: Done calculation for the latest lineup in Cabinet. Sabah and Sarawak are indeed under-represented. THOSE UNGRATEFUL FEDERAL PEOPLE. Grrr...
Yes I do worried about the possibility of UMNO entering Sarawak in future and ruin EVERYTHING just like how they ruin Sabah...
But before jumping into the bandwagon of voting for opposition, let's think about a few more questions: are the current lineup of oppositions in Sarawak able to represent everyone, urban or rural? Are they able to keep in touch with local nuances, psyche and mentality? Do they have issues that is good enough to make them sway? Can they even unite as one front? (Oppositions in Sarawak especially DAP and PKR are not exactly in good term with each other. Check out their feud for seat division of Sarawak this GE.)
We will take our swing when time comes (next election: Sarawak State Election..and that's when excitement kicks in)but definitely not NOW, not until they accustom to Sarawakian politic.
One major characteristic of Sarawakian politic is that we are HIGHLY LOCALIZED, further strengthen by the fact that our State Election year are not parallel with GE forcing all the parties here to focus on local issues instead. And for me, its actually good cos it basically makes Sarawak a whole different realm then the rest of the states. We play a whole different game here in Sarawak.
We have our own (but better, more multiracial) version of UMNO in form of PBB lead by Taib Mahmud already so the existance of UMNO here is literally redundant. And you must know, our CM ain't idiotic to let UMNO-crap came in to Sarawak cos he still very much enjoy the cushy CM seats. Seriously, I do hope that any of his successors and also any Sarawak BN components party will not engulf themselves in internal petty politic to let any of the west Malaysian party to enter Sarawak. (Just like what happen to Parti Bersatu Sabah in 1980s, which leave an opening for UMNO to enter Sabah.)
And sometimes, given the fact that the West Malaysian, no matter how many years we are in Malaysia, still doesn't view us as equal partners, makes me wonder when will Sarawak secede, since our difference is this imminent. And to tell the truth, I am (and still) pissed by NAIVE West Malaysian who have their own distorted image about Sarawak. (You know, I was literally smirking in cynic when my friend told me that a couple of his West Malaysian coursemate CRIED when they realize they had been admitted to UNIMAS, thinking Sarawak as some ulu places. Once they came here, their doubt was gone COMPLETELY.) Those who doesn't live in Sarawak will never understand Sarawak.
Hi, was just passing through, really like your blog. While I agree with most of your and Kenny Sia's sentiments, I have a few questions.
I agree that Sarawak seems to have been put on the backburner by the central government, and I agree that that should change. But I always thought that it was because Sarawakians did not want central government interference, that Sarawak would rather be a semi-autonomous. Am I wrong?
And while it's good to see our eastern brethren get more representation in the parliament and cabinet (because yes, they delivered for BN, and hence should be rewarded) I question the reasoning and rationality behind using it as a leverage against the central government. I understand that Sarawakians hate us 'Malayans', but going by demographics (and not by largest landmass) Borneo Malaysia has roughly a population of 5 million. 'Malaya' has a population of roughly 22 million. So, 22 million people have to live according to the wants of the other 5 million people? But I thought democracy was what mattered?
And the constant insistence of using the separation of 'them vs us' completely baffles me. Why do we want to remain a country together then? If 'Malaya' and 'Malayans' are so intolerable, why not break free from the bane of your existence. I, personally, don't want you to, because I like Sarawak. And it's not because of the natural resources, it's because I think that if Sarawakians get off their high horse of superiority, they can teach 'Malayans' a lot about living in harmony. But of course, we 'Malayans' are lower than dirt in your eyes.
I know that a lot of 'Malayans' are ignorant when it comes to our eastern brethren, but I argue that Sarawakians can be just as guilty of what they accuse 'Malayans' of being. Tell me, how would you feel if you wanted to visit another part of a country that you are a citizen of, but you had to use passports and endure immigration procedures. It 'd make you feel like a foreign interloper wouldn't it. When I went on holiday with two british friends, they were welcomed with smiles and it took them less than 3 minutes to go through immigration. I, a malaysian, was questioned for 15 minutes, had 2 immigration officers on my back, then had my passport flung nonchalantly back at me. That was my first visit ever to Sarawak. Why are we so hated? Granted, after that I met some really nice Sarawakians, and some not so nice ones. Just as I did with people all over the world in my extensive travelling.
It's a bit of a sweeping judgement that all 22 million of us are arrogant and ignorant, isn't it?
I feel kind of sad about it. So much for being citizens of the same country.
Sarawak still need politic for development-electricity, water supply. all these basic things cause the attitude of the political culture. selangor 'developed country', kelantanese are particular with religious values, DAP needs some kind of the new bussines attitude and against NEP
Dear Tashbash:
LOL Only now I realized that there are addition of comment in this particular post of mine.
You do have a point that it is equally wrong for me (Actually I am stressing ME, instead of the word US because this post is solely a piece of my mind and should be be considered as a general representation of Sarawakian sentiments.)for thinking lowly about West Malaysian when compared to a West Malaysian thinking lowly of Sarawakian. For this, I apologized about my usage of sweeping statement.
You know this thing about integration versus autonomy is one heck of a perplex issue for Sarawakian actually. A lot of us feel that the current autonomy that we have (due to the agreement before we join Malaysia) as a mechanism to protect Sarawakian from the exploitation from the west while some of us do feel that this autonomy is actually an impediment of development. (even though I highly doubt that our situation will change for the good even if we integrate further.) And from what I know, the labor law here in Sarawak still haven't synchronized with the central government labor law causing discrimination towards the workforce here. Plus my dad, being born in West Malaysia (He is from Taiping, Perak btw) have to renew his work permit every year in order to continue working. That's the bane, the I can identify from our own autonomy.
One thing for sure, I will never want to see our political scene from ever integrating with the West Malaysian BN because the UMNO-crat will quickly use their racial rhetoric to subdue us just like how the did with the Kadazan in Sabah importing immigrants from Mindanao and making them Bumiputera. We don't exactly have that situation (I mean, one whole stilts colony full of Filipinos?) and I certainly don't want to see Indonesian flocking into Sarawak.
Now come to think of it, I should blame all the West Malaysian POLITICIAN instead of making hasty generalization about West Malaysian. After all, its them that streaked on racial rhetoric which in turn, turn me off and further strengthening my belief for a seperate Sarawak.
We all have our own share of bad people around us, whether its West Malaysian or Sarawakian, and I believe your run in with immigration officer was rather unfortunate indeed. But you know one thing about our rather independant immigration? It was kinda funny one way or the other whenever I come and back from Kuching and I have to pass through the Immigration, the part that says "Perlepasan Domestik (LUAR SARAWAK)" It seems like we are big enough as a nation of our own! lolx
I think now the whole passport thing is abolished I and all you need is to fill up a declaration form upon arrival. As for me, I still have wait in line to show them my MyKad too!
Thank you for acknowledging my views. On the whole, I think it's high time we abolish race politics too. but I guess we have to remember that these changes are not going to happen overnight, maybe towards the end of our lifetime we'll see something. But to be honest with you, I don't have faith in any of the present political parties. In fact, I'm right now suffering from a lack of love for my own country and, especially, my own countrymen. I don't think malaysians know what they want, and I think all the races are just as rascist as one another. I've seen nothing too convince me otherwise. Blame does lie partly with the current governing body, but, in my opinion, blame lies mostly with us as malaysians. We say we don't want race politics, but our actions and behaviour speak otherwise. Each race thinks they are far superior than others. The type of rascism that malaysians as a whole practice towards each other is the worst and vilest sort, cloaked in hypocritical and delusional bullshit. I don't think we realise how much we've been poisoned by it. And it's not just race, we segregate ourselves by religion and state also. That's what I don't understand, and I think it's silly, petty and juvenile.
My malaysia doesn't exist, it's a figment of my imagination. Malaysians themselves have shown me just how overtaken they are by this disgusting social cancer, and what's worse are deluding themselves by being in denial about it. Now, when I look at our flag, I feel nothing, no pride, no love, nothing. When I hear them shouting "Merdeka!", I feel nothing. It's sad really, isn't it?
And that's why all of us should start working on it even if its one small step at a time. Its better than remain stagnant.
In my own opinion, Patriotism is DEFINITELY NOT SCREAMING MERDEKA DURING COUNTDOWN or DECORATING YOUR OWN CAR WITH THOUSANDS OF FLAG OR CIRCUMVENTING THE GLOBE CARRYING JALUR GEMILANG. In fact, its mere TOKENISM. Patriotism for me, is the willingness to participate in social changes and proactive involvement for the greater, common good.
In fact, changes need not come from above and we can start our own changes. Start talking and mingling or hangout with your friends, colleague and neighbour that have a totally background than you do. Refrain ourselves from being irrational. BE NICE to each other. Changes will start when we gather all the GOOD PEOPLE.
Personally, I am still frustrated by the fact that I still can't get over my personal barrier to talk to someone which have different background than me. But I am indeed working towards it and one of the effort that I will be taking is volunteering in orientation week in my university (USM, btw) as senior.I believe and hopeful that my involvement in this event will change my personality and outlook in life. Fingers CROSSED!!!
Ahh, this is such a nice talk...
Post a Comment