Ahh...finally I can update my blog!!!! Seriously the non-existence of wireless connection makes me extremely depressed. *lol Overused cliche* So what did I done throughout past one whole week? (other than my birthday, of course.) So here's a brief runthrough through one whole week...
-August the 30th (Saturday and my birthday eve!)-
Actually this starts from the eve of my birthday eve on Friday, when my YDP had asked me to represent him in an upcoming event the coming day, so after much delayed *due to dinner and TESCO trip over Sungai Dua with SanJing, PeiYi and HueyLan*, I climb up to Restu to find my YDP and received the invitation from my YDP. Aiks, dress code is formal!
lol random pic that ruin the unity of the content. Introduced to me by SanJing, the taste is OK even though personally I don't exactly like curry mee...and there is squid and cockle meat and blood tofu (that reddish square stuff) inside with a dollop of sambal. But the price is indeed worth it though cos this much of stuff only cost RM2.80, way cheaper than normal market price. As for drink, the same order of Soybean...cos nothing will go wrong!
And this is the invitation to the Special Convocation Ceremony to confer Honorary Doctor of Science to APJ Abdul Kalam, former Indian President and a engineer. In other words though, this whole convocation is made specially FOR him. Oh well. At least I can catch a glimpse of His Majesty Tuanku Canselor if he actually attend the ceremony.
And so after I tidy up myself including obligatory morning bath and shave for special events, I changed into my formal wear (buttoned shirt and slacks)...wait, where the tie? OMG I left it in my bag in which I left it in my locker!!!! Anyway, rushed over to DTSP by foot (luckily its in early morning and the weather is still ok) and quickly grab my tie and settle down... So I venture over to the entrance as there is a small crowd forming up. Here's a pic of the red carpet. At the far end in this pic is the hordes of uniform bodies, of three arms of PALAPES, RoverScout, Red Crescent and St. John Ambulance. While I was idling around though, more and more people starts streaming in and I noticed that all of them are First years...wait a sec? Aren't they suppose to have WUS101 in DTSP now? Then comes the sudden realization: all of them had been duped to come for event! WUS101 and USM had did it again...lmao. Too bad for them~~~Soon all of us was herded into the DTSP and they distributed the booklet and the invitation to all of them. In the end, I settled at the far end corner of DTSP...
...which is RIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTT here to produce this crappy pic. And Tuanku Canselor didn't attend this ceremony *sniff* The Honourable Pro-Canselor, Dato Prof Lim See Yan attended instead acting on His Majesty's behalf to confer the award. Oh well. This was taken when we sang Negaraku, Menara Ilmu and Untuk Negeri Kita. At the far end of the DTSP, I can barely hear what did APJ Abdul Kalam said in his speech but one thing did he said is creating a fair and healthy society as there are still many people without proper water sanitation and healthcare. I can sense the word and idea of sustainability here which USM is indeed proud of!
What I get (as the rest of the duped first years) from the event: this really nice Booklet which gives an outline of all the previous convocation as well as all the full list of Lord Canselors, Pro-Cancelors and Vice Chancellors, complete with their portrait. Too bad for the first years tho, they still need to attend the WUS101 right after that! Looks like the hate for WUS101 lives on!!!!-fast forwarded to night time-
Later that night (in which I will stay around campus very late to countdown to my birthday in front of my laptop), I went for the Public Talk on The common belief of Christianity, Hinduism and Islam. The speaker: Haji Ayub Abdul Rahman @ Anthony Samy Perumal, former priest and now a muslim activist. And he is from the beloved cat city Kuching! (even though he is by birthplace a Penangite but he settled down in Sarawak for a very long time already.) So I was a lil giddy when he mentioned the common register of words of Kuchingites in his examples like DBKU and Kuching-Samarahan. As for the talk itself, he touched little on Hinduism because he didn't professed Hinduism so he touched much more on the common values of Christianity and Islam, drawing from his own experience and understanding. The breadth and depth of his topic are quite respectable, quoting both holy scriptures of The Bible and Al-Quran as well as relating it examples in daily life. Regardless of all the differences between both of them, the essential virtues of both (which I did inquire from him) is 1. there's only one god and 2. Love thy neighbour, the common compassion for all regardless of creed. This event would have been a much more fruitful and pleasant one if it wasn't for that BOISTEROUS JORDANIAN who hijacked most of the Q&A session by rapping on THE DIFFERENCES and so called WRONG (which I can see Haji is quite bemused as well), and with loud, inaudible gibberish which is a great pain to ear. Seriously, I do have the urge to stand up and yell "SHUT THE FXXK UP!!!!" for making the event tensed than what it should be. The mc almost cut the Q&A session short but luckily the audience decided to keep it on. And he approached some of us to share his email and "feel free to ask him anything about the comparison of both religion" Well, judging from his emotional outburst of inaudible gibberish, I have absolutely nothing that I can expect from him. Instead, I am much more willing to have my own research...
...and the one on the left is what I got from the Public Talk. (Terima kasih Syahid! Kerana menolong saya mendapatkan buku ini. Bolehlah saya guna untuk penyelidikan pada masa hadapan sebagai seorang penterjemah!) Its actually three books actually, one is that, another two is Islam: the misunderstood religion and The life of Prophet Muhammad. In this pic I put it side by side with the present that I got from PikHan just to illustrate the discourse of religion comparisons. These two sets of religious book will definitely aid in expanding my mind and knowledge, a very important values to become a good translator.-starting from 2nd of September until now-
While the dust of my birthday settled down and heading back into reality of lectures and assignment, I received a belated present from YenPheng: one whole paper bag of snacks! (well according to her, she didn't actually know what to buy so being practical and fulfilling my glutonous need, she bought me snacks, same like SzeSze. You guys are showering me with so much sweetness (literally) that I will grow FAT literally! Anyway, one of the sweetstuff featured in the bag of sweetness if Pocky and this, being quite a Japanophile, makes me happy. ^_^ *hint Gravitation Shuichi hint*
And talking about foods, McD got this special promo goin from McShaker Fries with any upgrade to Large of McValue meal. They will give you a paperbag and a sachet of spice powder, pour your fries into the paper bag, add the spice powder, close the opening and GIVE IT A GOOD SHAKE!!!! *shake shake shake*
...which will end up as the nicely spiced fries! Quite a nice innovation of fast food and the spiced fries is yummilicious! *NomNomNomNomNomNom*-4th and 5th of September, Thursday and Friday-
Definitely one thing that everyone in USM had been waiting for...its the announcement for the selection of APEx (Accelerated Program for Excellence) university by MOHE!!! And here I am proudly announce to all of you (as did a lot of my friend in blogosphere and friendster, in fact the break of news starts from Friendster, when Azhar made a bulletin) that Universiti Sains Malaysia had been chosen as the first APEx University in Malaysia, from the shortlist of four of UKM, UPM and UM and the final two which include UM (in yer face, UM!). USM, as a rather young university (40th anniversary soon) actually leads in front of the veteran university way more experienced thanks to ground-breaking and breakthrough it charting the university's vision. The visionary leadership of USM as well as all the lecturers and student are definitely ELATED with this great honour.
So what does APEx means to us? From my understanding, with the APEx status we acquire much more autonomy in administration *hint less hassle from MOHE hint*, freedom in expanding the teaching force and most importantly, more funding for research and raising the overall quality of students.
So what does APEx means to us? From my understanding, with the APEx status we acquire much more autonomy in administration *hint less hassle from MOHE hint*, freedom in expanding the teaching force and most importantly, more funding for research and raising the overall quality of students.
And this is our master plan, embracing the idea of sustainability and transforming the higher education for the common good of all. In fact, I have the book of it as one perk of being a PPMS. And the values embodied is definitely much more valuable more than ever with this honour. Its time to work hand in hand to make sure that we are up for challenges that will come in future, to uphold the vision of university, striving for excellence and live sustainably.Universiti Sains Malaysia: Kami Memimpin. TERUS MEMIMPIN/We Lead. ALWAYS.
Either way when the news broke out, USM is indeed quite fast in preparing for announcement from MOHE and they manage to prepare DTSP in frightening speed and efficiency (the banners that pops up from no where!) just for that. And soon, my YDP asked me again to represent him but unfortunately I have Spanish class going on at that time. Either way, a big congrats to USM!
The banner, gracing the stair case beside DTSP, proudly proclaiming the vision of university: Transforming Higher Education for a Sustainable Tomorrow.------------------------------------------
I think thats all for now and before I conclude my post, I would like all of us to take a short break with random pics.
I think thats all for now and before I conclude my post, I would like all of us to take a short break with random pics.
And now I am in Istimewa, onlining away while breakfast. And its raining cats and dog since early morning. *shudder* OOhh the chilling wind that blew on to my face...Epilogue: Actually there is one post that is in the pipeline but I am not exactly sure whether I should blog about it or not...*pondering*. And ohh, can't wait for my Junjou Romantica DVD version eps 3 to finish download. Hiro-san!!!!!! And my weekly dose of Bleach is done downloading. *dokidokiwakuwaku*
ZheRong is now at Istimewa, feeling happy for the uni and chilly from the cold wind at the same time.


No comments:
Post a Comment