...the official student exchange offer letter from USM. Went to USM International Office to pick up the letter last Tuesday along with all coursemates.
And this is the offer letter. But there are a couple of things which I don't exactly fond of in the detail of the offer.
Firstly, the period of exchange: January to April 2010. (Spring Term in UVic) This means that I will only be going off to student exchange (if I am actually going) on my 2nd semester here in USM. And the timing is so damn cun that it corresponds to the duration of my 2nd semester in USM and it is good and bad at the same time. Now I need to figure out how to distribute the units back in USM properly (ands its trickier now) so that I can graduate in bigger convocation.Secondly, the deadline of application to UVic is actually TODAY. 30th of April. But then USM International Office said that they will work this out with UVic. But this also means that I need to fill out application ASAP. Nevermind then, lets check through the soft copy of the application form that the IO passed to me.
Last but not least, When will the USM student exchange scholarship result's gonna come out? I am getting more edgy now with the release of result drags further on...
-----------------------------------------
Other news: Finally got back most if not all, of my Lexicology and Terminology assignments. And I scored an A- for my Green Energy Dictionary! *Happeh face above!!!* I guess changing the topic while building the corpus (after one or two failed attempt) paid off! To top it off, this is actually my first assignment that I got A- from Dr. Aniswal since the start of my uni life so it's a milestone of its own. Had to be thankful that Dr. Aniswal is in a very good mood this semester hence the generosity as well. Keep up the good vibes, Dr! Meanwhile, my glossary about the flora of Malaysia is a mediocre B- but the A- from my etimology part cover the loss. My own name and ANIMANGA FTW!!!! Meanwhile, equally positive feedback from Law and Translation II assignment component as well: an A...the only person who got A in assignment component for Law and Translation II. A for assignment component for any subject FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY UNI LIFE. I am somewhat in awan ke-sembilan now. Could this be...IT? *fingers crossed for the exam component to be ok!!!*-------------------------------------
I went to my very first karaoke (to be exact, RedBox @ Gurney Plaza!) in my university life with my coursemates (namely Lawrence, YenPheng, SzeSze, XinMi, MinWei, SheiHan and ChiaMin) last Tuesday (28th of April) right after our HBT 103 Law and Translation II exam. The reason: to celebrate the end of this exam as well as 2nd year...not to mention to celebrate Lawrence and YenPheng's birthday!!! *clapclapclap* 22 years old already lor, both of you!
But before the start of the journey over to Gurney Plaza, me, SzeSze and ChiaMin had to do a slight detour to IO first to pick up our student exchange offer letter...and the briefing went on for quite a while that YenPheng and Lawrence had to wait for us and missed one 304 bus. (while MinWei, XinMi and SheiHan went off first to get the booked room first) Sorry, sorry! So 5 of us waited for a while the ever elusive RapidPenang 304 bus, the only bus that passed through USM to Gurney Plaza. After a while, the bus appeared and all of us are on the way to Gurney Plaza. To kill time, we chatted all sorts of stuff while on our way ranging from respective student exchange destinations (souvenir request flies around too! Snow from Finland!), assignments and other general stuffs (like for me, I can't exactly determine where is the city centre for Georgetown: KOMTAR or Padang Kota/Esplanade?) and issues. Guess we are all uni student after all.
The bus trip itself was quite tedious as it took us about one hour to travel from USM to Gurney Plaza (the bus fare itself proved it: RM 2.00) with the traffic jam and such. By the time we reached Gurney Drive, all of us were so tired and hungry (we didn't had our lunch) that we would have dropped dead on Gurney Drive. But of course, we reached safely to RedBox and let the karaoke begin!!!! *Pictures courtesy of Lawrence aka birthday boy.*
So all of us packed up and went out...before Lawrence discovered that his birthday gift went missing. We scrambled around to find it and Lawrence MingWei they all went back to the karaoke room to search for it to no avail. While the rest tried to figure out the whereabout of the gift, a sudden flash of thought came into me: What if the cleaner picked it up along with the garbage and throw it into the rubbish bin? So Lawrence and MinWei went back to find the cleaner...and discovered that it really did ends up in rubbish bin! Apparently the cleaner throw it along with the used cake box. Phew that was close! That one good guess from me then!
It was still quite early to have dinner so Lawrence suggested that we can wait until 6 something for the Gurney Drive Hawker's Place to open. So all of us loitered around Gurney Plaza especially the new wing. Went into Parkson in which MinWei are searching for a cloth hook and etc. I meh-ed at the Green Non-stick pan. Went out of Parkson and bumped into Switch, the Apple retails store. MinWei is obviously intrigued by Ipod touch especially the map navigation feature while I got STUMPED by the sheer sleekness and high-tech Ipod nano. Looks like Apple product was a lil too high tech for me! Proceed to MPH for some reading and such. Bumped into Penang Hokkien Dialect Guidebook. lolx at the example especially "Answering nature's call!" Pang Phooi, Pang Jio, Pang Sai! Around 6pm and SzeSze suddenly craved for BigApple Donut's so we went down to basement level to grab some donut. After that, all of us head for Gurney Drive Hawker's Place for dinner!
What did we ordered? We shared one large plate of oh-chien (I belanja for once!) and Pasembur (Lawrence belanja this one) while each of us ordered something for ourself as well. Claypot rice (me), plain wantan mee (ChiaMin), Lor mee(MinWei), Penang Char Kuey Teow (SheiHan, SzeSze, YenPheng and Lawrence). The verdict: Indah khabar dari rupa, the portion aren't exacly plentiful. But we are still full lar otherwise. But the thing that ruined the time over there is that we are constantly bugged by beggars (6 or 7 times if I am not mistaken) and 4d sellers and people working to look for donation for charity. It's pretty annoying that you have to reject them again, again and again while at the same time trying to decipher whether they are authentic beggar and some phony cheater posing as beggar. In fact, we saw the real truth for one of the beggar, in which he came to our table acting as if like tempang and need to walk with the help of the tongkat. But while we are waiting for the elusive 304 bus to go back, we actually witnessed the beggar that I mentioned went passed us CYCLING ON A BICYCLE. BLOODY PHONY I HOPE THAT HE GOT RAN OVER BY CAR OR SOMETHING FOR PLAYING THE PUBLIC'S SYMPATHY. Just when I was feeling a little guilty for rejecting so many beggars!
Anyway, after we had our dinner, we decided that we will use the same way going back to USM: by the elusive 304 RapidPenang bus. But little did we know that we need to wait for about 1 and half before it appears...in the meantime, Lawrence go around and took our photo as well.
"Hey don't take my picture lar!" SzeSze reading newspaper.
Penunggu kat Persiaran Gurney. Saya tahu lah apa makna sebenar penunggu! Saja nak guna~~~
And Ah Wong proceeds to take couple picture. LOL so insynchronous!
MinWei and YenPheng. I IZ IN UR PIKTUR, STEALING THE ATENSHYUN. And both of them goes on talking about Twilight for the rest of the time from the first book to the 4th. I dunno why though, the only thing that I can get from watching Twilight (the movie) is that both Edward and Bella are suffering from Unresolved Sexual Tension. Look at how both of them lust at each other!
ChiaMin and SheiHan, minding their own business.
Noo!!!! SheiHan is melting into the darkness!!!! Lawrence had to used the flash because of crappy lighting from the streetlamp. Interesting effect though.
Her face transformed into her hands~~~
Our shoes!
Group photo's must: Finger stars! Actually there are a couple more finger stars that we made...with different finger...wait for the Facebook update!
Shoes to Shoes...friendship forever!
Ahh! The flash is too bright!
Disco effect~~~
Lawrence took the picture of this tree because he like the way it grows up.
It was still quite early to have dinner so Lawrence suggested that we can wait until 6 something for the Gurney Drive Hawker's Place to open. So all of us loitered around Gurney Plaza especially the new wing. Went into Parkson in which MinWei are searching for a cloth hook and etc. I meh-ed at the Green Non-stick pan. Went out of Parkson and bumped into Switch, the Apple retails store. MinWei is obviously intrigued by Ipod touch especially the map navigation feature while I got STUMPED by the sheer sleekness and high-tech Ipod nano. Looks like Apple product was a lil too high tech for me! Proceed to MPH for some reading and such. Bumped into Penang Hokkien Dialect Guidebook. lolx at the example especially "Answering nature's call!" Pang Phooi, Pang Jio, Pang Sai! Around 6pm and SzeSze suddenly craved for BigApple Donut's so we went down to basement level to grab some donut. After that, all of us head for Gurney Drive Hawker's Place for dinner!
What did we ordered? We shared one large plate of oh-chien (I belanja for once!) and Pasembur (Lawrence belanja this one) while each of us ordered something for ourself as well. Claypot rice (me), plain wantan mee (ChiaMin), Lor mee(MinWei), Penang Char Kuey Teow (SheiHan, SzeSze, YenPheng and Lawrence). The verdict: Indah khabar dari rupa, the portion aren't exacly plentiful. But we are still full lar otherwise. But the thing that ruined the time over there is that we are constantly bugged by beggars (6 or 7 times if I am not mistaken) and 4d sellers and people working to look for donation for charity. It's pretty annoying that you have to reject them again, again and again while at the same time trying to decipher whether they are authentic beggar and some phony cheater posing as beggar. In fact, we saw the real truth for one of the beggar, in which he came to our table acting as if like tempang and need to walk with the help of the tongkat. But while we are waiting for the elusive 304 bus to go back, we actually witnessed the beggar that I mentioned went passed us CYCLING ON A BICYCLE. BLOODY PHONY I HOPE THAT HE GOT RAN OVER BY CAR OR SOMETHING FOR PLAYING THE PUBLIC'S SYMPATHY. Just when I was feeling a little guilty for rejecting so many beggars!
Anyway, after we had our dinner, we decided that we will use the same way going back to USM: by the elusive 304 RapidPenang bus. But little did we know that we need to wait for about 1 and half before it appears...in the meantime, Lawrence go around and took our photo as well.
After prolonged wait, the elusive 304 bus finally appeared and all of us made a mad dash to the road, waving down the bus and get on it immediately. By the time we reach campus (that was about 45-50 minutes later), we were totally drained and just wanna head back to our sweet room and crash on our bed. Reached USM around 10pm and me and SzeSze, the one who stayed over RST made a dash to the Eureka Bus stop hoping the last bus is still running. Over the bus stop a couple of people waited as well. I made a gamble to go over to my locker to pick up my bag and made a dash back to Eureka Bus stop. Sorry to say, I lost the gamble and I saw the last bus went off right in front of my eyes. III=.=. So for that night, I went back to my lonely room, alone...and Japanese exam is the next day...And WTH the water supply over my cluster had been cut off?! Luckily the opposite cluster is still ok...
Another take of the same day by YenPheng herself, here!
Another take of the same day by YenPheng herself, here!
------------------------------------
Despite decision made to stay back in university for the long term break, all it takes to change my mind was a phonecall from my mom while I was busy packing my boxes to put into the storeroom. (Dang, those two boxes are goddamn heavy! Dictionaries and assignment and notes and more random stuff! I had accumulated so much stuff this one whole year!)
"Do you want to come back for this holiday? Since that you said you can do the research job at home as long as there is internet connection, then better come back lar. One week like that also can."
And on that moment, my mind goes haywire with the violent inner battle between staying back and going home. For the first round, I said that I am gonna stay...but not too long later, I scrambled for my research timeline calendar and called back to my mom, saying that I wanna go back for Gawai. Determination FAIL. This also proves that I do feel homesick too.
So it is decided that I will be flying back to Kuching on the 24th of May and then flies back to Penang on 5 of June. Meanwhile, Gawai is on 1st of June so I think I will be doing a lil visit to Benjamin's rumah panjang over Bau as well as the former Thomians if there is time! Not to mention hanging with the usual gang (Owen, YangLip, B-Shan, SanHui, CheeSiang and more) again and I wanna polish my driving skill as well! And ohh, can't missed the Kolo Mee and Laksa Sarawak binge!
Epilogue: From the same call, I discovered that my dad went for an operation not too long ago and my mom only told me today because the exam is over. Actually the moment my mom told me that, a sudden fear crept it to me and I actually tears up a little before my mom added that it was a small and unobtrusive operation, involving inserting of tube from the vein in the thigh and pushing it towards the blocked part of arteries over the heart. While it was a relieve to hear that, (and at the same time, amazed by the modern medical surgeries' technology), I still can't shake off the fact that my dad had some operation related to the heart. My dad had always been having high blood pressure and I really can't imagine the day my dad, who had always been big and strong succumbed to...that. So dad, seriously, STOP SMOKING. Reduce the risk factor of getting anything. I had seen so many things related to family happening this semester over my circles of friends and I can't help to be concerned and even, fear. So now the main question: when the motivation of mine to lose some weight will come?
"Do you want to come back for this holiday? Since that you said you can do the research job at home as long as there is internet connection, then better come back lar. One week like that also can."
And on that moment, my mind goes haywire with the violent inner battle between staying back and going home. For the first round, I said that I am gonna stay...but not too long later, I scrambled for my research timeline calendar and called back to my mom, saying that I wanna go back for Gawai. Determination FAIL. This also proves that I do feel homesick too.
So it is decided that I will be flying back to Kuching on the 24th of May and then flies back to Penang on 5 of June. Meanwhile, Gawai is on 1st of June so I think I will be doing a lil visit to Benjamin's rumah panjang over Bau as well as the former Thomians if there is time! Not to mention hanging with the usual gang (Owen, YangLip, B-Shan, SanHui, CheeSiang and more) again and I wanna polish my driving skill as well! And ohh, can't missed the Kolo Mee and Laksa Sarawak binge!
Epilogue: From the same call, I discovered that my dad went for an operation not too long ago and my mom only told me today because the exam is over. Actually the moment my mom told me that, a sudden fear crept it to me and I actually tears up a little before my mom added that it was a small and unobtrusive operation, involving inserting of tube from the vein in the thigh and pushing it towards the blocked part of arteries over the heart. While it was a relieve to hear that, (and at the same time, amazed by the modern medical surgeries' technology), I still can't shake off the fact that my dad had some operation related to the heart. My dad had always been having high blood pressure and I really can't imagine the day my dad, who had always been big and strong succumbed to...that. So dad, seriously, STOP SMOKING. Reduce the risk factor of getting anything. I had seen so many things related to family happening this semester over my circles of friends and I can't help to be concerned and even, fear. So now the main question: when the motivation of mine to lose some weight will come?
7 comments:
penunggu is ghost lai la wei. eh hope ur dad gets well soon man. but u gotta start heeding the alarm bells. what if the heart problems are hereditary? somemore u so round haha. maybe i really do have to let u lug ur stuff to bakti haha. for ur own good ma...
@ I said I know the real meaning of penunggu edi what? Just saja wanna use it. As for my dad, he is up and working already and the surgery was small and unobtrusive so no worries.
Geez, tumpang your ride cannot meh? But i did made my mental preparation for it already JUST IN CASE you decide to bamboozle me in the last minute. Hmph!
LIEW ZHE RONG!!!
I'm so gonna kill you for putting the reading-newspaper-photo in your blog since i have warned you and Lawrence not to do so!
Arghhhh...
my mum had the same operation too recently..I was so worried too at that time but she is all well now. But ya, it's kinda scary though it's a small operation. =s
If I ever get A or A- for any of my core paper assignments, I think I'll shed tear of joy. HAHAHA..It'll never happen to me. I am just not the translation student mia material...
zhe rong i recently missed out chances to chat with ya due to the *stupid* final exam... shocked to hear that ur dad underwent operations! well certainly longing to catch up with u lastest news of yours! coming back kuching this sem break??
hope ur dad wil be fine soon. u won meet me in kch. i at penang suffer!
ZOMG multiple comments!
@SS: lol. Reading newspaper is a very good activity!
@PingPing: My dad is up and well and working already so no worries.
As for the grade for assignments, no worries one lar, I am sure that yours will be fine. And seriously, my HBT207 assignment grade is as it is because Dr. Aniswal had been really generous this sem.
@Owen: Final exam: kacau-ing everyone's timing. I will be back for one week on 25th of May...wanna celebrate gawai lol!
@YangLip: my dad is up and working already so no worries. What time you will be coming cos I will spend most of my May here in Penang. *June is occupied by orientation week.* We can still catch up!
Post a Comment