Prologue: Half of july is going to be gone. *sigh* Less than a month to go before I will don my graduation robe and mortar board. *sigh* And my Master's Application Status is still in review. What took it so long?
It was yet another boring evening at home when it is my younger bro Jackson Cappucin Tate LYH's turn to use the laptop rendering me idle again. And that's when I have a sudden urge to visit the local library, Kota Sentosa Municipal Library which is about 500m from my neighbourhood. Despite its close proximity, I only went there for a few times ever since it was opened. It is because that it's book collection are quite limited and only expanded with rather outdated (but I think still somewhat useful) books inherited from the Civic Centre library which was closed down for some reason. Another big reason for me not going there now is because that it is not equipped with Wi-Fi hence rendering my lappie pretty much useless. The only good thing which I think they done right is that they have a rather large array of major magazines (Times, Newsweek, Readers Digest, National Geography, they have almost all of it) & newspapers (ohh we have so many newspaper in Sarawak alone.) for public reading, complete with comfortable sofas.
 |
| Kota Sentosa Public Library. Pretty decent in a way complete with green dome and statue which I think given by Pustaka Negeri Sarawak. |
And so I spent my time over there reading Reader's Digest and such before I went around their bookshelves checking out their collection of books and not before long, I reached the supposedly Humanities/Language section which is noticeable with books published by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka. As I peer along the books, my eyes were set on a particular titles which I had some sense of immediate familiarity.
 |
| Teori dan Teknik Penterjemahan! Besides that, my lecturer's name and USM logo?! Unbelievable! Books related to translation studies right in my local library! *giddy in excitement!* |
 |
| Penterjemahan dan Bahasa Isyarat (Translation and Signed Language) by Dr. Hasuria Che Omar, published Institut Terjemahan Negara Malaysia with colloration from USM. It was one of the latest book published by my lecturer as it was only available since last year and two of my coursemate were helping her out in the production of the book. |
 |
| Teori dan Teknik Penterjemahan (Translation Theories and Techniques) by Prof Emeritus Abdullah Hassan and Ainon Mohd. Published by PTS. Yet another book which all BATI-an should be familiar with while in BATI as both of them are very respectable in Malaysian field of Translation Studies. |
 |
| Further inspection of that section reveal yet another gem: Exploring the structure of semantics by Eugene A. Nida and translated by Prof. Mashudi Kader. Nida (along with Newmark) is a very commonly quoted scholar in translation studies for it's formal & dynamic approach in translation while Prof. Mashudi Kader is a veteran professor in School of Humanities/Pusat Pengajian Ilmu Kemanusiaan USM and the founder of BATI. He's still very much around in PPIK, teaching mainly Phd students. Dr. Goh was under him for his Phd too. |
I wonder will I experience more wonderful, pleasant surprise these days...
Epilogue: Does the appearance of books about translation studies in my local library is a sign of its own? Ponder...ponder...
No comments:
Post a Comment