Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Penang Hill at Last.

Prologue: Another month's coming to a close again. Unbelievable. Meanwhile, 390th post GET.

Back story: According to old family photo, the last time I went to Penang Hill is when I was just a two years old toddler. 10+ years has gone since then and as fate turns out, I ended up as an undergrad in Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang main campus. Penang Hill Train/Funicular, the main mean of transport for visitor to go on top on Penang Hill as well as a tourist attraction of its own was still functioning but I was just a recluse freshie, RapidPenang was still in its infancy and all the other public bus service was SHIT. (Remember Milan, KGN HIN, Penang Bridge Link and other assorted minibuses? Good riddance I must say.) Anyway, some time around 2008 (if my memory serves me well), Penang Hill Train was closed for upgrades. One can still hike up Penang Hill but don't ever ask me to. Thus my three years as an undergraduate was gone without going to Penang Hill. Fast forward to May 1 2011 and with me as a postgraduate in USM again, the upgrading work for Penang Hill Train is done and it reopened for visitor! Finally on 23 May (Monday. Yesh, postgrad have no class to attend to so I can go whenever I want), I went to Penang Hill as a visitor. Warning: Pic spam ahead! For more photo, visit my Facebook album for Penang Hill!

RapidPenang (THE public transport operator on Penang Island. It has come a long way for the past three years. More on that later.) is the only way for me to get around on my own so as usual, I took bus from USM to KOMTAR (RM2) and change to 204 departing directly to Penang Hill (204).

RapidPenang has set up information boards for the passengers' convenience. It list out various popular destinations and the bus which one can take to reach there from Komtar. I took this just in case more future plans pop up. Where should I go next?

Here comes the bus!

The bus passes through Air Itam. The famous Air Itam Market roadside Penang Laksa stall is still in the process of setting up around 10am.

On my way now to Penang Hill Train Station! The white obelisk behind there is a World War II Memorial to commemorate the Penang Chinese Community who sacrificed themselves against the Imperial Japanese Army.

Oh when I say earlier about how RapidPenang has gone a long way since a couple of years ago, this is what I meant: Electronic Fare Payment System! Currently the Tap-to-Pay System it is still under testing on selected routes (mostly the 20X.) and those interested to participate in the test can apply for it at their head office at Lorong Kulit. Can't wait for it to be rolled out completely at all routes! No more worrying for exact change! No more fumbling in the pockets scraping for coins! All you need is a smartcard, tap on and tap off! I wonder whether it will be integrated with Touch-n-Go, the most widely used (mostly for highway but also can used on RapidKL) electronic farecard or whether the user of Tap-to-Pay will enjoy discounted fares compared to normal single fare (hey, 20 cent saved is money too!) which definitely will encourage user to use electronic fare payment! Exciting time ahead indeed for public transport!

The bus stopped right at the footstep of Penang Hill Station. Apparently the construction a multistorey parking + bus bay has just completed which I think is good compared to side parking which causes awkward U-turn for the bus.

Here's the foothill station for Penang Hill Train. I hate the huge billboard and the tinted window used for the renovated station though. So out of character.

Differences in train fare for local and visitors. There are some grouses about the huge rise in fares for visitor because back then, it was only RM4 regardless of nationality. Luckily for me as a Malaysian AND student, I only need to pay the discounted fare of RM4! Student pass is useful at all times!

Tickets.

The train came after 15 minutes wait. There's one funny moment though: as the train comes down from hill stop, everyone is making a beeline before the gate to board the train. After the last passengers from the previous trip alighted, the train suddenly moves up and away from the waiting area much to the bemusement of passengers itching to go up hill away. Turns out it was just a routine maintenance check and about 10 minutes later, the train came back down again, the gates open and all passengers make a dash to get the best seat.

...and I got myself the shittiest place in the train: middle. I wasn't fast enough and there are plenty of old folks going up hill as well. I bet no one want to make himself a jerk by pushing aside the OAPs, right? Anyway, the train. It was spanking new and air-conditioned. Some says it's lacking the old crikety charm of the old trainset and it went too fast to get any meaningful observation of views outside but I think it's doesn't really matter to me because if you end up in the middle of centre carriage standing, there's no way you can enjoy the view along the climb uphill.

The train zipped along the track (pretty much like a fast elevator) and about 20 minutes later, we reached the hill top station and I was greeted with cool hill top breeze. Finally I am here!  Here's a shot of the tunnel before reaching Hill top station.

Monkey using the powerline as a bridge to cross the track leading from one tree to another. It's much safer than say walking across the track which was powered by a third rail. Instant death by electrocution!

View from the top: Penang Bridge and central Penang Island.

Georgetown with Komtar jutting out prominently in the centre. Towering crane for Butterworth's Port is visible from here too. Notice the proximity between Penang Island and Province Wellesley/Seberang Prai from Georgetown.

The highly urbanized east coast of Penang Island.

Obligatory camwhore.

Points of interest.

Mural for tourist to camwhore.

More view from the top, this time towards another angle: Tanjung Tokong-Tanjung Bungah and the reclaimed coastline of Straits Quay.

Gurney Drive, Penang's Golden Mile.

Back to sights around Penang Hill. Despite being a hill station for getaway from lowland, Penang Hill is actually a fully functional community complete with police station (here in this picture. Pretty cute isn't it!), post office, hawker centre, places of worship and such besides other touristy sights like hotels, spice farm, bird park and such.

Staircase leading uphill for more view. I think this is one of the peak in Penang Hill but not sure what its name is.

A Indian Temple, built by the Indian workers brought in by the British during colonial time to construct the hill station they adore to escape the tropical heat.

Bel Retiro Mosque. I just waltz into the compound and took some picture.

The Guardhouse. No trespassing because what's behind there is actually the Governor General's Lodge which retains its function from the colonial time til now.

The hotel. Anyone fancy?

Highland vegetation and blue sky.

Complete map of Penang Hill, complete with location of the hill top lodges. For those itching for adventure, feel free to climb up Penang Hill from botanical garden!

My own exploration at Penang Hill begins, roughly guided by the map and personal motivation! Not all lodges/villas are inhabited though and some of them are abandoned and rundown. Where's the conservation society?

Walking along the main road aimlessly.

Villas hidden among the lush greenery. That villa in the center is named Eythrope.

Reached an observatory platform and obligatory I am here picture with the help of a fellow tourist.

Do not feed the monkeys.

My walk continues until I reached a stretch of road in which was line with manicured grass fences. Through (circa 1926), a very well maintained villa nested behind the manicured vegetation.

Just look at the arched door! A sight for me to ogle on! I wonder if anyone lives here?

Chimney and a weather cock!

Feels exactly how it should look like during the colonial hill station days, minus the electrical wire of course.

There are plenty of private lodges and villas along the way as well. This one is Rajawali I think if I am not mistaken. Not open for visitors though so have to take a sneak peek far outside its compound.

Another shot of Rajawali with the clear blue sky. Ohh how much I adore clean air and clear blue sky!

There's a canopy walk here but it was closed indefinitely for renovation. Hmm.
Continued walking until I went passed the junction leading to the parish centre and the MPPP's Southview lodge. I checked with the photo of the map that I took earlier. Turns out I am actually heading towards another end of Penang Hill to the other two peaks! The sun is pretty high up and my leg is giving up on me so the best decision at that point was to head back. (Just for your information, they do offer a buggy service for those people who doesn't want to walk but for some amount of money which I didn't check. Maybe should've opted that so that I can visit more places.)

Spotted this while I am on my way back to the hilltop train station: a Royal Mail mailbox!

A shot of the hawker centre, currently undergoes extensive expansion plan complete with viewing platforms and more commercial spaces.

The actual colonial era carriage, completely expose to the elements outside. The Brits have nice taste of enjoying the hill top air!
Took a detour to check out the restaurant and teahouse just to gauge my chance of actually having a nice evening tea on hill top like the Brits did during the hill station era.
The teahouse/restaurant with beautiful lily ponds in front.

The view from here is even more spectacular.

The idea of pretending to be an Englishman enjoy tea however was put off when I check through their menu. IT'S EXORBITANT. Keep it til next time then. Maybe I should just settle my lunch at the hawker centre like all plebs do.
Not feeling of doing anymore walking around, I decided to call it a day and went back to the funicular station to catch the next train back.

Kek Lok Si looking pretty tiny from 700m from sea level. The perpetually under construction Goddess Kuanyin statue is huge though even from here.

Learning from previous mistake from my trip uphill, I decided to make a dash as the gate open for passenger to board the train to go down hill. Occupying the front section with excellent view downhill: SUCCESS!

Going downhill. The lower hill top station located right before the tunnel.

Going through the tunnel!

Tunnel station or something. There are actually plenty more small stations like this alone the way downhill but this one's special because the train actually stop to let a few people (presumably staff) to board! Functioning almost like a form of public transport here! All these small stations were built to serve those who built their villas and lodges along the hill.

The old carriage now resting at a short unused stub.

Middle station with the train going uphill passing by.

The middle station was extensively renovated as well but I wonder why the train didn't stop here. As far as I know, back then passengers need to change train here to continue their trip uphill to the top. The upgraded hill train now go straight up with no transfer so I am wondering the reason behind upgrading the middle hill station.

The viaduct spanning across a small valley right before the foothill station.

Good bye Penang Hill. Hopefully will be back to explore the other two peaks on the other end.

Back at the exact same spot where I alight to wait for the bus back to Komtar. Waited for more than 30 minutes before a few buses came along at the same time.

Back to Komtar and immediately heads to 1st Avenue to settle my lunch. This is the first time that Kim Gary is totally deserted. Maybe's because it's already way off lunch time at 3pm+. Interesting snippet: there's an Indonesian family having lunch opposite of my table and the waiter initially thought that they are Chinese. Only after they ask the waiter whether they understand Malay that the waiter realized that they're Indonesian. They were asking about various points of interest in Penang like Batu Ferengghi. I was almost tempted to quipped and help them while using my acquired Bahasa Indonesia vocab just to help them out...but in the end I just ate my lunch away. lol.
Headed back to USM soon after my lunch, sunburnt (I guess the late noon sunlight still gets me even when I am at hill top) but satisfied. What's next for my adventure around Penang? War Museum perhaps? Or more trip around the heritage core of Penang?

Epilogue: Arrgh too late. May's over before I can post this. Oh well. Hello June. Meanwhile, some other random updates about my life: almost done with this major translation work of mine. Hopefully can get some good money from it. Still thinking of when I should go back to Kuching...or whether I should go back at all. Thinking, thinking. What about preparation for PPA and my own thesis then? *snapped back to reality*

No comments:

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...