As the clock struck 12 am midnight with sound of exploding firework punctuating the otherwise silent night, the fateful day of 31 August has arrived.
 |
| The Google Doodle had changed too on the stroke of midnight just for the occasion of Double Celebration this year, complete with Ketupat and flag of Malaysia. |
Selamat Menyambut Ulang Tahun Kemerdekaan MALAYsiA yang ke-54.
Marilah kita menghayati semula erti Kemerdekaan yang telah kami kecapi selama ini demi kesejahteraan sejagat.
Coincidentally, 23 years ago on the very same day of 31 August, a baby boy is born in Sarawak General Hospital Kuching, the second child of the Liew's family. That baby boy...is yours truly, Liew ZR.
Happy 23rd Birthday, Liew ZR.
Godspeed in all future endeavour and may all the years to come bountiful and prosperous, blessed with knowledge and wisdom.
Can't believe I am already 23 years old, inching closer and closer to the half way point of the third decade in my life! Even though I didn't grow up to be a fine young man like any other parent and myself hope for but at least I am indeed besar panjang physically with my rather questionable diet and lifestyle. As a lonely postgraduate and anxious young adult, I can only wish that everything in my life will go on smoothly without any unnecessary mishaps (but of course when on think about the reality...it's never really easy in first place). I wish for wisdom and courage, something that's definitely lacking right now to equip myself and resolve any challenges. I wish for a good life ahead with more happiness which I wish to share with everyone I love. I wish that everything I wish for will come true.
Anyway, noons coming in and half of the day is almost gone. Besides answering all the birthday wishes on Facebook Wall and SMS trying to answer each birthday wishes with tailored personal flair, what else can I do today? Should I go out and explore places far away while enjoying my own quality time? We'll find out so watch out for this post!
Epilogue: So birthday for modern youth has really whittled down to just Facebook wall post and SMS (Not that I don't appreciate it. In fact, I appreciate all of your wellwishes! At least Facebook reminded all of you of my existence.). Well for a awkward loner like me, I could only wish for throngs of people actually celebrating my birthday with cakes and presents or at least a small crowd which I could spent time together and chat til the night but alas, wishful thinking it is. Oh well, I could always try to give myself something right?
EXTRA: So what exactly did I done on my birthday? I mentioned earlier in this post that I pondered upon whether I explore somewhere far and from my room. In fact, I almost put the plan into action by planning to visit
Tesco Tanjung Pinang &
Straits Quay and splurge on lunch. I was slightly confounded however when I checked my wallet: down to two RM1 notes and no coins which makes taking RapidPenang a bit of a hassle. (Note to RapidPenang: Please implement
Tap to Pay Smart Card System to all other corridors now.). Then again, I could always break into small change over Komtar (RM2 is good enough to bring me to Komtar) by buying Rotiboy or something. After checking out possible bus no. to go there, I am all set and heads out to Sungai Dua bus stop...and wait. And wait. And wait. And patience is grinding thin. As my hope perked up when TWO buses (303 and 301) appeared, it was immediately dashed when BOTH buses are filled to the brim and the bus driver wave to us over the bus stop before leaving us in dust. Then a realization dawned upon me: IT'S HOLIDAY. This is when the crowd comes out and a great majority of the RapidPenang bus user that I saw today are migrant workers enjoying their mandatory holiday! Looks like it's going to be futile if I am waiting for buses to Georgetown. In the end...I had to water down my plan and head to Queensbay instead but hey, I can still enjoy myself right? Immediately head over to bus stop over the other side of the road and not too long of a wait later, a 304 appeared and it's full of vacant seats! Off I go Queensbay!
 |
| Obligatory waving flag for Merdeka Day. |
When I reached Queensbay however, I was met with another dilemma: where should I have my lunch. Went through a few choices in my mind like TGIFriday (kinda wondered whether they have any discount for birthday peeps. Still expensive though.), Tsurukame Shabu Shabu at top floor (They have set lunch...but it's steamboat. Same old same old with fish balls and meat.), Golden Triangle Thai Restaurant (Expensive) before settling on Azuma Japanese Cuisine, the higher end of the Japanese cuisine outlet here at Queensbay. It has been a while since the last time I was here.
 |
| I was directed to the couple cubicle seat located right beside the entrance. As much as I appreciate privacy, still kinda regretted that I stick around here because if I sat over the Kaiten, at least I could feast myself on the sushi. |
 |
| A loner's lunch. |
 |
| In fact it's so well hidden that they actually set aside a buzzer thing to remind the people over the counter if we need to be serve. |
 |
| Anyway, what did I ordered: usual Green Tea for the hot evening. |
 |
| Syu Amayaki Gyudon which is basically sweet barbecued beef slices on top of rice with miso soup as side...and that's it. Should've splurge more and go for full set meal. *sigh* Kinda feel that it's not enough. |
 |
| So ordered gyoza or pan-fried dumpling as okazu/side. Somewhat a disappointment because it didn't feel wholesome enough. |
 |
| Free icecream. Last time they served green tea ice cream. What happened to the overall quality of Azuma (as well as all the other Japanese cuisine outlet here at Queensbay. Especially Sakae.) since the last time I came? |
Wasn't entirely satisfied with the meal but then I remembered that there's a Baskin Robbin outlet here at Queensbay and everybody knows that BR have 31% discount on every 31st day of the month (making the Sungai Dua outlet notoriously packed every time its 31st) not to mention it's a tradition of some sort of mine to enjoy 31% discount BR icecream for all of my birthday that I had over Penang. Went over to check out...only to be greeted by a hastily written sign that says that 31% discount is not available over this outlet. WTF inconsistencies. Looks like BR tradition will be stopped this year because of austerity measure. Head over to Border to read Times magazine before finally calling it a day and head back (but not before picking up snacks from Jusco to compensate that.)
 |
| The weather in Penang is wacked. After one whole week of intermittent shower, the sun has finally made it's coming and it's making it presence felt by everyone. The annoying thing about Penang weather is that two days of hot weather and haze will slowly come back. |
 |
| Luckily USM is Universiti Dalam Taman with ample amount of tree foliage as shade. |
 |
| Looking towards Aman Damai and Bukit Gambir. This road will be seeing crowd again next week when new batch of student coming in for their orientation week. |
 |
| Campus is totally deserted today with tightened entrance control over Sungai Dua gate. This serene scene will come to an end though by next Tuesday when fresh faced juniors flocks to Bumi Minden. |
 |
| Snack that I picked up from Jusco Deli: Korokke which is mashed potato based snack. |
 |
| This was taken around 7:25pm in the evening when sun begins to set. While I was having my usual instant noodle dinner: the thought of eating something better struck me again. After all, it's ridiculous if I didn't completely enjoy the day. In the end, I thought of going to check out Baskin Robbin over Sungai Dua...but my money conscious sense got the best of me...and I walk across the road tot the minimart instead... |
 |
| ...and settled for Twisties. Austerity measure has really taken a toll on my desire and ability to spend. |
...and now it's already at night. Is there nothing else that I can do to make the day end better? Or should I just surrender self to fate and settle for all those well-wishes over Facebook and reply them earnestly even if it's just generic Happy Birthday! *sigh* Plan: Derailed and Stunted.
No comments:
Post a Comment