Monday, 8 August 2011

Juadah Berbuka Saya Sepanjang Seminggu Bermulanya Bulan Ramadhan

Alternate Title: Campus Ramadhan Month Survival Log - A Compilation!

It has been a week into Ramadhan or fasting month for Muslims. While Ramadhan is a very significant month for Muslim to self-reflection and moderation by fasting from dawn to dusk, for a non-Muslim like me however, it means Pasar Ramadhan and all those random Malay/Muslim food that you won't eat on any other day except Ramadhan Month just because it's a must have for the occasion. For any USM-ers, a visit to the Pasar Ramadhan right outside RST is a must've experience which I did so for the past three years during my undergrad time as well as last year during my first year of being a postgrad. Both side of the street right outside RST are teeming with stalls and students come in droves just to pick up the dinner for breaking fast together.

From this year onward however...the situation has changed: USM along with all public universities in Malaysia decided to change their academic calendar by shifting the start of the new academic year from the usual July to September...and Ramadhan falls on August this year. Without the student market to support, will the Pasar Ramadhan over RST survive? That's the question that I had in mind right before Ramadhan starts but more importantly, will I survive with all campus activity grind to a halt and all cafe closes during day time (since there are little people in campus anyway)? Let's find out what I had for the past one week since Ramadhan month started.

-1 August 2011 Monday-

The situation is worse than I thought it would be.

When the people is gone, so is the Pasar Ramadhan. Gone are the stalls teeming along both side of the street and all that's left can be counted with ten fingers. Worse of all, none of them are actually remote attractive for me try on since I am hunting for Nasi Kerabu/Nasi Dagang, the must've Kelantanese cuisine just for Ramadhan. I was DISAPPOINTED with the lineup and thus I head off to the direction of Sungai Dua via Tesco just to check whether there are more activities over there.

Went past the National Pharmaceutical and Nutraceutical Research Institute which can be considered as an adjunct of USM. Pretty huge and the road along that side of the road looked very much better unlike the last time which occasionally have cows foraging on the bush.
Walked along Tesco and Sungai Dua looking out for the sight of Pasar Ramadhan in vain which left me further in despair especially when one is hungry and tired with sore legs. In the end, I didn't give much thought anymore...and I give in to fast food, namely KFC.

Had OR Black Pepper Chicken Thigh Set. MEH. This is how hunger and desperation can lead to irrational decision like having generic fast food crap.
1st Day of Ramadhan in a nutshell: DISAPPOINTMENT. Oh at least there is one pleasant surprise though: Bakti and Fajar Nasi Campur stall opens at night instead of day time for the fasting month. Kind of reassuring that I won't die of starvation at night.

-2 August 2011 Tuesday-

Despite the disappointment the day before, I am still hopeful that whoever that usually sells Nasi Kerabu/Nasi Dagang will come to his senses and return to Pasar Ramadhan RST and with that, I went back there again.

Oh bumi Minden yang fana! The tree line sidewalk leading to Bukit Gambir Gate provides the well-needed shade for a walk in the evening.

Bukit Gambir side approximately an hour plus to go before sunset so the sunlight is still quite glaring. Oh well, in a way fulfilling my sunlight and walking out of my room quota.
Still no sight of the Nasi Kerabu/Nasi Dagang stall yet but at least I spotted a few other food relevant to my interest!

A refreshing coconut juice/water or air kelapa/ayaq nyioq for the scorching evening! (RM1.20) Ikat tepi for drink on the run!

Kek Batik for the sweet tooth!

Just look at the layer of Mary Biscuits and chocolates~~
 -3, 4 and 5 August (Wednesday til Friday)-

Since the search for Nasi Kerabu/Dagang over Pasar Ramadhan RST is futile, the only option left is to wait til Saturday when there's Pasar Malam over Sungai Dua which definitely have a stall selling Kelantanese food for sure with or without Ramadhan. While waiting for Saturday to come, Nasi Campur Stall over Fajar instead! Instead of choosing the usual plain white rice, I chose the fragrant variant available or nasi tomato when given a chance just for the occasion.

Mixed vegies with ayam Kicap...I think.

Curry Chicken with sweet and sour vegies (pineapple, cucumber, onion and shallots) and the colorful rice that I didn't the name.

Mixed vegies with vermicelli and dried beancurd and gulai daging.
 -6 August 2011 Saturday-

Saturday = Sungai Dua Pasar Malam + Tesco grocery shopping! A successful night indeed!

Bought Calamari Ring from the Taiwanese Chicken Steak stall guy. (RM 6.50). It's decent but the batter always stuck in my teeth...and this is when the wooden skewer/stick comes in handy.

And now...the main course that I had been look forward too for the past one week: NASI KERABU with the blue rice, fish cracker, shaved coconut meat and a healthy dash of beef meat! RM 3.50. DA YUM! Will definitely go back there on the coming week just to get Nasi Dagang!

As for dessert: the RM1 Donut over King's, the bakery right beside Tesco Extra.

-7 August 2011 Sunday-

Originally I was planning of going to Gil Cafe, the homey Korean cafe over Ivory Plaza because I feel like it...but when I reached there, it's closed maybe because that it's Sunday. Yet another walk of disappointment so back to Pasar Ramadhan yet again (because cafe in campus is definitely closed for the weekend, day time or night time.)

Murtabak Daging. The slice of shallots provide a mild tangy addition to its overall taste.

Nasi Tomato set (RM5). I think the girl kinda forgot to put in the mixed sweet and sour vegies thing so feel kinda didn't up to its full value. Will go back and check again anytime of the week.
So there you go, my first week of Ramadhan in deserted campus with somewhat reduced choice. Will I survive this month til Raya comes? Will I get more chance to enjoy Nasi Kerabu/Dagang? Oh what about Kebab daging and such? Is it a must for me to broaden my search even further just to get better food? (The next closest one I think in terms of accessibility is the one over Bayan Baru. Hmm...

Epilogue: Productivity still haven't picked up yet. *sigh* One more month before semester reopens and I think my supervisor will start chasing me soon. Oh not to mention, research progress update over Campusonline as well as checking up with the reimbursement of accommodation for PPA-13. That's almost RM400 there which can keep me alive barely for a month.

5 comments:

Syahmi said...

it always leave me wondering why the rice of nasi kerabu in Penang is always blue, coz back at my kampung right, the rice is always yellow :|

p/s: nice update lol~

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

http://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasi_kerabu

According to Wiki, apparently it's getting harder these day to find the natural blue coloring (the petals of bunga telang) so many people use turmeric/kunyit instead to create yellow rice.

Which means that blue is actually the original colour...come to think of it, if the natural colouring is harder to find, does it mean they use artificial coloring these day? *dun dun dun*

Syahmi said...

thank god there's wiki! yea i like the rice to be yellow though. looks more vibrant and more appetizing oh oh oh gonna make sure my mum make nasi kerabu tomorrow :P haha~

Eli James said...

I really enjoyed this post, Zhe Rong, to the point where I saved it in my feed reader with a note: LEAVE COMMENT.

I had no idea it was so hard to find food this time around during Puasa Month. Your post, the pictures, and the writing was so good I could feel your pain and anguish and not being able to find the food you want! (Plus not being able to eat nearby is such a pain ...)

I hope you'll be able to survive for the next three weeks, though :/)

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

Hi Ced and glad you enjoyed it! Actually there are foods (food courts, mamak, cafe) right outside campus which is still within reasonable walking distance while in campus, the Indian Vegetarian stall that I frequented last time opens during day time too PLUS as I mentioned, all those Nasi Campur stall in my campus opens at night instead for Ramadhan so it wasn't as bad as you think it is. I am just being dramatic and lazy of marching out of my room to find food.

With that being said though, the anguish of not finding Nasi Kerabu/Dagang is REAL. I have to wait until Saturday for that weekly Pasar Malam for it.

Say, how's Hari Raya over that side of the causeway? Tried any Southern Peninsula Cuisine yet?

Read More.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...