Prologue: Just wanna clear the remainder of the backlog before wrapping up August and starting a new month.
This is a post that chronicles my trip to downtown Georgetown on two separate occasions for different reasons but all share the same mental thought process in decision making: on a whim.
-24 August (Wednesday)-
Immediately after I was struck with the
crushing news earlier in the evening, I was left bereft in despair. I just don't wanna stay in my room. I wanna head out some where to catch some breath. Then I recalled that it's Wednesday and
Annalakshmi have vegetarian buffet on Wednesday and almost immediately I got changed and heads out to Sungai Dua bus stop to catch the next 304 to Penang GH which then I walk over to Annalakshmi for a filling vegetarian dinner.
 |
| Zipping past. |
 |
| Alight at Penang GH at Jalan Utama and took a left turn to Jalan Penjara/Gaol Road, where the jail is. Kinda tempted to pick up kebab over the Ramadhan Market lining along Jalan Utama but I digress and continued my journey. Anyway, hopefully Penang Gaol will not meet the same fate as their counterpart in Kuala Lumpur (Pudu Jail) and Kuching (Kuching Old Jail) from being demolished by the wheel of development. Though from the Berbuka Celebration over the Jailors Quarter, I think this jail is still pretty much alive. |
 |
| Took a turn at Codrington Avenue and voila! Annalakshmi - The Temple of Fine Art. Immediately I head towards the compound behind for my vegetarian buffet dinner. |
 |
| The lineup of the buffet is actually the same as the dish served on the set meal that I ordered the last time I came here except that in buffet, we can take as much as we want. First round: fragrant rice with morsel of sides just like how it should be done. Didn't take capati/thosai/idli thing though. I forgot to take the picture of second round, which is fried kueyteow but still the same amount of side dishes. |
 |
| Unlike the usual ala carte order, they have pasembur sides in which you can just pick and mix the ingredient the way you want it to be. This is my third and last round of food btw. Side dish still the same though. |
 |
| Mango lassi as drink. |
 |
| White bean thing as dessert. Wholesome meal indeed! |
 |
| Compared to conventional buffet, the choice here is definitely smaller but otherwise it's good enough to fill one's palate. After all, this is a vegetarian premise. Eat in moderation is the key for spiritual fulfillment. |
 |
| Saw rainbow immediately before the sunset. How sublime and transient... |
 |
| Walked back to Jalan Datuk Keramat to catch the bus home. Jail's watchtower. |
Reached the bus stop at Jalan Air Itam/Jalan Datuk Keramat when I was struck with another dilemma again: should I wait for the unreliable 304 to come or I should make my way over to Komtar or at least somewhere closer to Komtar where I can find more bus? After feeling unnerved with the amount of Corridor 2 passing by with incredible frequency, I've made another decision on a whim again: I will walk to Komtar/Time Square. So with that, I begin my 1+km walk along Jalan Datuk Keramat over to Time Square. Feeling oddly energetic though in a way but probably it's because of the pleasant after rain weather that make this walk more bearable.
 |
| Time Square from Jalan Patani Police Station. |
 |
| Hello, Time Square, basking in it's neon glory. Went in for a little bladder relief before continue my journey over to Komtar. Consider myself in luck cos as soon as I reached Gama Supermarket, a (packed) 301 appeared in which I immediately boarded and head back to my room in USM. One way to wrap up the night. |
-28 August, Sunday-
Logos Hope - The Floating Book Fair has
docked in Penang! After seeing my senior, Kak Mel's photo on the night before (Saturday), I immediately made up my mind of dropping by. It has been at least 10+ years since the last time the ship came to Malaysia. I still remember the last time I've been on one back in Kuching (it was
MV Doulos), I nagged on my parent to buy me that pictorial encyclopedia that they actually made a turn back to the ship to buy it for me. Oh what a spoiled kid I was. Their operating hour on Sunday is from 1pm onward so I head out earlier for lunch, this time back to Times Square again to tried out the flat wheat noodle or 板面 over Face to Face (面对面) Noodle House being tempted by the review over
Eaterland. (For more pictures of my escapade on Sunday, hop over to my
Facebook album!)
 |
| Sun finally appeared after one whole week of intermittent rain and cloudy weather that cause the temperature around here dropping to unprecedented level of coolness. In fact, it's so cold that I have to switch my fan speed dial down to 2 and 1 at night! Looks a good weather to head out, right? |
 |
| Times Square on 301. Face to Face Noodle House is located at the side facing the fountain square and fairground. |
 |
| Ordered their mainstay, 板面 and Ribena Longan as drink. |
 |
| It's topping includes dried anchovies, diced mean, sunnyside up egg and chilli powder which you can add according to your taste. |
 |
| Followed their instruction of eating the noodle by mixing up all the ingredient together to form a tangy mix. The noodle's texture is pretty springy. |
 |
| Here's a rare sight that I haven't seen for the longest time: red chilli slices in vinegar. Unlike the usual Westies' green chilli in vinegar for their wantan mee, my Bornean Side of the pond always uses red chilli in vinegar as condiment for dry noodles. This is understandable as the great grandfather of Face to Face's founder hails from Dalat/Oya and the founder brought the recipe and wheat noodle over to Peninsula for his chain. Though I still don't like the way they sell kolo mee as "Sarawak Mee" though it does have the look of it and use the same noodle for it. Think I might go back there again just to judge the "Sarawak Mee" according to my Sarawakian taste bud. Say, do they have importer or producer of our type of noodle over here at the Peninsula? |
 |
| After settling lunch, heads over to KOMTAR to take the CATbus to Swettenham Pier where Logos Hope is docked. Komtar with clear blue sky as it's background. |
 |
| CATbus, finally upgraded to Scania! |
 |
| Masjid Kapitan Keling. |
 |
| Alighted at Lebuh Pantai/Beach Street which is withing walking distance to Swettenham Pier. |
 |
| Banner promoting Logos Hope. |
 |
| We have another visitor too besides Logos Hope: Super Star Libra. |
 |
| Logos Hope. |
 |
| As it was a Sunday, this means the crowd is unbelievably phenomenal with crazy long line and continues to form at the back. It was inching slowly as it was the Port Authority's policy to keep tab of the amount of visitor coming in hence all of them has to sign a guestbook and grab a Penang Port sticker. |
 |
| Catching a glimpse of Super Star Libra. |
 |
| As we are waiting however, storm cloud loomed again and not before long it's a torrential downpour. |
 |
| The crew had to run back and forth passing umbrella to visitors going onboard. The entrance fee is RM1. Look insignificant but with the amount of visitor, I bet they've made great load of money but it's for charity anyway so I will let it go. |
 |
| Going up the slippery staircase in torrential downpour. |
 |
| The piston for the ship engine. |
 |
| Exhibition about GBA Ships and their history. |
 |
| As we enter the actual book fair section, I was greeted with crowds. They offer a wide range of book covering different needs of different age group and interest. Almost all the book here are foreign in origin hence in English except a curious section that sells in Tamil/Hindi. All these books are sold in Logos Units in which 100 Logos Units = RM8. |
 |
| As GBA is Christian Missionary Foundation however (or related to them), they devote one whole sections at one end to Christian related reading material as well as DVDs including an extensive collection of Christian Rock Music of Hillsong. As an god-forsaken Atheist, I look at this section somewhat with disdain especially when I saw a few titles that's somewhat catches my eye such as "Argument Creationists Should Not Use" and "Preaching with Integrity". Basically a section that devotes to the mass delusion known as Abrahamic Religion with their "All-Loving" God *except everybody else that doesn't believe in him and they will not be saved from eternal damnation*. How selfish and aggrandizing. Ok perhaps I should stop my raving here before but still I won't hide my disdain towards the believers who's eternally chirpy because they think they will go to heaven...or so they think. *dun dun dun* Imma a bigot that subscribe to stereotype nah nah nah. |
 |
| Didn't manage to bought any book but got myself something else instead. As I was ready to head out however, I am greet with more long lines again as it's still raining heavily outside and people waiting for umbrella. The wait is even worse in the ship than outside as the air circulation is bad and it's stuffy. |
 |
| Finally reached outside after half and hour or so. Seberang Prai is now carpeted under heavy rain and the sea has become rocky. |
 |
| One last glimpse of Logos Hope. |
 |
| Despite the heavy rain, the crowd continues to pour in waiting patiently in line to catch a glimpse of the ship. |
 |
| While I went to catch a glimpse of Super Star Virgo. |
 |
| Walked over to RapidPenang Weld Quay bus terminal originally hoping to board on any bus that can take me home directly but there's none waiting over there. Saw a CATbus waiting so hop on it to drop at KOMTAR which I can always switch buses over Komtar Bus Terminal. |
 |
| Feel like doing a little shopping around here so went to 1st Avenue passing through Komtar and ICT Mall. The renovation around the central atrium has finally finished breathing new life to the long neglected Komtar. With shopper pouring in for last minute Raya sales, Komtar is definitely have better days ahead and maybe going to reclaim the title as a shopping heaven for Penangite. The revival Komtar is definitely one of the more visible achievement of Penang Government ever since they were voted in last General Election. |
 |
| Food court named Magic Kitchen has finally opened at 1st Avenue. |
 |
| Raya Decoration. |
 |
| Supermarket definitely brings more people to a mall which for 1st Avenue's case, it's Carrefour Market. Got swayed by personal temptation and made more hasty purchase! Their cashiers are still fresh though. More on that later. |
 |
| Went back to Komtar Bus Terminal and took a 301 back to campus under heavy rain. This was taken while I was walking back to Bakti looking towards Bukit Gambir. Feels like highland weather isn't it? |
 |
| Talking about being swayed by desire, this is what I am talking about: Gardenia Butterscotch Bread (relapsing into past obsession...but it's very tasty!), Sushi pack (its made in China wasabi was RUBBISH though by refusing to dissolve in soy sauce and tasted too artificial and strong for my liking. I gagged in a couple bites before I gave up and had the sushi as it is instead.), Pringles Chip (which I down half a can in the same night.) and RotiBoy (must've everytime I dropped by 1stAvenue.). DINNER OMNOMNOM. |
 |
| As for Logos Hope...bought some random souvenir instead. The mug was RM12, the keychain was RM4 (!) per piece and the pen was RM2, totaling RM22. Feels like priority FAIL it's a floating book fair, I should be buying books instead of souvenirs. I...I will find some use for these stuff. |
|
|
Lesson learnt: If I can go out on weekday, GO OUT ON WEEKDAY. Weekend is when the crowd comes out and if you want to avoid traffic and people, go on week day instead. Which will made worse by heavy rain.
Epilogue: Ready to wrapped up August...one more post coming before August ends! And OMG it's already September?!
No comments:
Post a Comment