Prologue: Tomorrow final research meet. Can't wait for it cos this means that I am one step closer to going home and take a well-needed rest!
Gaudeamus Igitur is a very famous graduation song of western countries and the whole song is basically cherishing the freedom and enjoyment of being a university student. And as you can see from the title, its in Latin! The hymn is very nice to listen (so much that I can't get it out of my head lolx. Can we sing it during graduation too?) too and I can say quite appropriate for its occasion. So how do I bump into this student hymn anyway? I was Wiki-surfing the other day and I bump into the wiki-page of Victoria Institution (yeah, the KL one) and their school anthem uses the tune of Gaudeamus Igitur.
Gaudeamus Igitur - Cantemus Chor
Latin lyric (1st stanza and the 4th stanza. These two stanza are the most popular one as judged from the Youtube footage and by looking at the translation, it is the most appropriate line for graduation ceremony. Otherwise, we might ends up singing praising the "beautiful girls and good ladies." Check the wikipage for it for all the stanzas! Quite light hearted once you read the lyric!)
Gaudeamus igitur
Juvenes dum sumus.
Gaudeamus igitur
Juvenes dum sumus.
Post jucundam juventutem
Post molestam senectutem
Nos habebit humus
Nos habebit humus.
Vivat academia!
Vivant professores!
Vivat academia!
Vivant professores!
Vivat membrum quodlibet
Vivant membra quaelibet
Semper sint in flore
Semper sint in flore.
English Translation
Let us rejoice therefore
While we are young.
Let us rejoice therefore
While we are young.
After a pleasant youth
After a troubling old age
The earth will have us.
The earth will have us.
Long live the academy!
Long live the professors !
Long live the academy!
Long live the professors !
Long live each student!
Long live all students!
May they always be in their prime!
May they always be in their prime!
Epilogue: Expect more post coming up! And I am done with my course registration. Verdict: WTF! Meanwhile, will be making up my mind very very soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment